Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregorymeade33 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 01:40 PM
    black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit
    I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer.
    Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires
    10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground
    How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to protect the tanning bed
    14u2c Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 10:12 PM

Don't splice run a new circuit as this might overload the current circuit if the dryer is on and you turn the tanning bed on at the same time!
    gregorymeade33 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 04:31 AM
    [QUOTE=14u2c;2181535]
    Don't splice run a new circuit as this might overload the current circuit if the dryer is on and you turn the tanning bed on at the same time!

I forgot to mention that the reason I have a disconnet box is that my panel box and breakers are Federal Pacific and they are now obselete w/o an after market breaker less than $90.00. The quick disconnect is to keep the tanning bed circuit from drawing more than 20 amps.
    14u2c Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 09:37 AM

You still can't safely do this the only way to do it isto double wire under the lugs of the dryer recp and that in its self presents dangers.save you money up and get a new breaker.not being tan beats being burnt to a crisp when you house catchs fire from a jack leg electrical job!! do a web search for city electric supply.. ask them to order you a 2 pole fp breaker from eagle circuit breaker.eagle may even sell direct to you get there number call them and ask! They should only cost 60.00 max..
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
    I think I would have spent the money on replacing that old FP panel before I bought a tanning bed. Also the splice idea isn't allowed for numerous reasons. One being that the dryer circuit is a dedicated circuit, and nothing is to be tapped from it. Heed 14u2c's advice and do it correctly. In my humble opinion I would replace that panel and go from there.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 05:40 AM

I'l just add my agreement that this is NOT allowed, so PLEASE do this the right way.

New replacement breakers ARE available for FPE panels.

I also agree that spending the money on replacing the FPE panel as opposed to a tanning bed would have been a much more wise choice. Then again I realize the average person's mindset.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 07:45 AM

It should also be noted that a black/white/bare ground is not a 10/3 cable. That is a 10/2 cable. If the tanning bed is a 120/240 appliance requiring a 10/3 cable (black/red/white/ground) you can't do it anyway.

Jan 16, 2011, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    It should also be noted that a black/white/bare ground is not a 10/3 cable. That is a 10/2 cable. If the tanning bed is a 120/240 appliance requiring a 10/3 cable (black/red/white/ground) you can't do it anyway.
    Wow. I totally missed that.
    That cable is completely wrong for the dryer to start with, and adding another 120v load would just increase the neutral load on the BARE GROUND wire. NOT a good thing.

Not only would I run a new circuit to the tanning bed, I would run the proper and safe circuit to the dryer as well.

Jan 16, 2011, 08:35 AM

You know what else we missed? The fact that this thread is from a year ago, not this January. :o
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:20 AM

Damm

Jan 16, 2011, 09:25 AM

I knew that 10/11 thing would be a pain. LOL
    nottellin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
    Lol this guys house probably burnt down 8 months ago lol
    jamesdavino Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 07:44 AM
    First of all your dryer circuit and any other 2 pole breaker in the panel is supposed to be a DEDICATED circuit and cannot LEGALLY be branched off to feed something else, but as we all know, back in the days when your house was built probably around the 50's and maybe the 60's, a lot of old timer's would cheat the system and break the continious feed and install a Junction box under the house the house and either tape the hell out of it or use a wire nut and then tape the hell out of it... This is not allowed. Please do not do this. As everyone advised, please get someone to run a dedicated circuit to the tanning bed. I had cancer, but I've never been burned to death in a house fire...

Nov 18, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdavino View Post
    First of all your dryer circuit and any other 2 pole breaker in the panel is supposed to be a DEDICATED circuit and cannot LEGALLY be branched off of to feed something else,....
    Do you have a code citation to back up this (incorrect) statement? :confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
    James,

I had this issue and ended up taking it to the NEC.

There is no prohibition on connecting additional outlets to the dryer outlet.

There are amperage concerns, I don't remember the code sites but I can probably dig them up.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 06:18 PM
    Found it!

"And now the response from NEC

1. Section 210.23 applies in all cases and requires that the single utilization equipment load or the combined utilization equipment load not exceed the rating of the branch circuit.

2. Section 210.23(B) limits the load of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment to 24 amperes where multiple loads are supplied.

3. Section 210.23(B) does not limit the combined cord-and-plug-connected or permanently connected utilization equipment load to 24 amperes. The main requirement of 210.23 covering the total load on the branch circuit is applicable.

4. The circuit sizing and overcurrent protection requirements for electric welders are covered in Article 630.

Nov 19, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Sorry guy's, while it may be permitted technically I in good conscience can't and won't do work like that. I've alway's and will continue to keep the customer safe from themselves the best way I can. I'm not saying you all would do that, but I'd rather not give a customer more rope to hang themselves. What he left out is what the tanning bed draws and it well exceeds the 30 amps for the dryer... What they don't know could kill them or at least the house...

Nov 19, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Sorry guy's, while it may be permitted technically I in good conscience can't and won't do work like that.
    So you went from "ILLEGAL" in all caps, to saying it can technically be done. Nice save.
    What do you mean "work like that"?

I've alway's and will continue to keep the customer safe from themselves the best way I can. I'm not saying you all would do that, but I'd rather not give a customer more rope to hang themselves.
    Just what is unsafe about it?
    Not that it is at all common in a residence, but in theory HOW is several 240v receptacles ANY different that several 120v receptacles?
    As long as permissible loads are followed, what is the difference?

What he left out is what the tanning bed draws and it well exceeds the 30 amps for the dryer....What they don't know could kill them or at least the house....
    HOW in the world could something like this kill them or the house. PLEASE tell me, I am all ears.

I am almost offended by this over dramatic post. It casts a light that anyone who would even think of doing such a thing is irresponsible and would leave a customer with an unsafe condition. This is NOT even close to true. I think it is yet another case of an uninformed contractor using fear to cover his lack of knowledge.

Nov 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Not going to get into it with you.Sounds like the way your defending it You do it a lot or at least you had in the past. You sound young and got quite a bug up your butt. Homeowners do very stupid things when they do the work themselves. This whole thing was about what a homeowner would do if he thought he could get away without hiring an electrician. Fortyman, our conversations are over...

Nov 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Not going to get into it with you.Sounds like the way your defending it You do it a lot or at least you had in the past.
    I can't remember ever doing this in a residential setting. I've done it quite a bit in a commercial/industrial setting.
    I was merely asking what is so dangerous or wrong about it. Do you have a valid reasons for being so vehemently against it? :confused:

You sound young and got quite a bug up your butt.
    No, I'm in my late 40's with around 25 years experience. I consider myself an old man. :p

fortyman, our conversations are over....
    That's a shame. I though we were having a mature conversation about our trade. It's a shame you can't handle being disagreed with.
    Discussions like this can be fun and enlightening. Oh well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire a switch with pilot light with 1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground wire? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced an outdoor outlet controlled by an interior switch with a Cooper gfci outlet and it tested fine. Then I replaced the existing switch with a Cooper switch with pilot light. The switch has one line coming into it with one white(hot), one black(neutral), and one ground. When I connect...

Wiring a fan with a red, black and white wire in junction box [ 5 Answers ]

Yes, this is the situation. I bought a fan with the following wires: White, black, blue (down light) and gray (up light). I do not have a down light. The junction box comes with a red wire, black wire and white wire. There are two wall switches to control the light and to control the fan...

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

View more questions Search