Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
    legal for father to claim dependent children?
    My ex has a much larger income than me and is pressing me to let him claim our two sons as dependents on his taxes. In 2009, I paid no taxes because my income was so low.

My younger son lives at both houses, although slightly more with me, so I would say he is with me between 51% and 55% of the time. My older son, who is 20, lives with me almost full time, though he often visits his father for several days at at time if his brother is there. He lives with me about 90% of the time. (Just a guess).

Is it legal for my ex to claim them as dependents? The deduction is of no value to me if I don't pay taxes and I'm willing to negotiate it away, but only if it is legal to do so. If it is illegal, and the IRS objected, would I be in trouble for not claiming the deduction? Or only my ex for claiming it?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Jan 17, 2010, 02:07 PM

This is an issue that would have been best settled during the divorce proceedings.

To answer your question; yes, it is legal.
    Written declaration. The custodial parent may use either Form 8332 or a similar statement (containing the same information required by the form) to make the written declaration to release the exemption to the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent must attach the form or statement to his or her tax return.

The exemption can be released for 1 year, for a number of specified years (for example, alternate years), or for all future years, as specified in the declaration. If the exemption is released for more than 1 year, the original release must be attached to the return of the noncustodial parent for the first year, and a copy must be attached for each later year.

See for details:
    Publication 501 (2009), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information
    mysterious5 Posts: 50, Reputation: 7

Jan 17, 2010, 02:12 PM

Yea, its very legal. I don't think its necessary to go through a lawyer. Just have him file taxes with the children as his dependents and that's it. I'm not sure if it's the same but when I filed taxes with my baby I get a good sum back from my tax return, so if your ex gets money back he should split it half with you.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2010, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Rings View Post
    This is an issue that would have been best settled during the divorce proceedings.

To answer your question; yes, it is legal.
    Written declaration. The custodial parent may use either Form 8332 or a similar statement (containing the same information required by the form) to make the written declaration to release the exemption to the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent must attach the form or statement to his or her tax return.

The exemption can be released for 1 year, for a number of specified years (for example, alternate years), or for all future years, as specified in the declaration. If the exemption is released for more than 1 year, the original release must be attached to the return of the noncustodial parent for the first year, and a copy must be attached for each later year.

See for details:
    Publication 501 (2009), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information
    Thank you! I knew this once but had forgotten it.

In fact, the problem was settled during the divorce, but that was 9 years ago and we did not anticipate either that our 20 year old would still be a legal dependent today or that my income would drop so low.

Thanks again for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my father (U.S Citizen) now living in India as dependent [ 2 Answers ]

My father after becoming US Citizen moved back to India for health reasons. My mother holds a Green card but had to follow him. I am supporting them and sending money via bank account. They do not have any other income. In the past I did claim them as dependents, but now since they are out of the...

Can I claim my father as dependent? [ 3 Answers ]

My father is in China for the whole year last year. But he holds a SSN and greed card. Thanks,

Is it legal for a mother to claim taxes when child lives with father [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine has had custody of his son for two years and each tax year he tries to claim son it says the mother already has. How does he fix this and can he get refunded?

Should I claim myself or allow my dad to claim me as a dependent on his taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I Am Almost 22 , I Go To Nursing School And Totally Support Myself. I Did Work In 2007 Up Until June. My Dad Is Wanting To Claim Me As A Dependent, But I Think I Would Be Better Off If I Claim Myself. Should I Claim Myself, Or Should My Dad Claim Me? What Is Better For Me?

Claim my father-in-law as dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien living in US from the past 8 years. Filing Status: married & filing jointly Last year in 2007 my mother-in-law and father-in-law came to visit us in USA. They came to USA on April 23, 2007 and left for India on September 10, 2007 (approx 4.5 months). My...

View more questions Search