Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    setexenv Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jan 17, 2010, 08:25 AM
    Redistribution/re-sale of wine or fortified wine
    If I wanted to charge a fee for private wine tastings in people's home (people of legal drinking age) in the state of Texas and Louisiana, (a) do I need a special license or permit to charge a fee for the wine tasting? And (b) if I want to sell them contingency bottles of wine (1 of each type of wine) after the tasting, do I need a special license or permit to charge them for this wine?

Are there any other legal issues that I need to think about? For instance, could I transport wine purchased in Texas across the state line of Louisiana for the same purposes (wine tastings for a fee)?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 08:34 AM

Hello set:

If you're really contemplating this venture, you're certainly going to need to do more due diligence than just asking here. Clearly, you're going to need a local attorney - not only to answer your question with authority, but to be there standing next to you, when and if the authorities disagree with his opinion.

Having said that, it would be my view, not knowing a thing about the laws in Texas, that you could charge for the tasting, because that's a service. But that you cannot charge for the wine, because that's merchandise, and you're going to need a liquor license of some sort to sell that.

I don't know if you can transport your wine across state lines for tasting, and/or sales but, I'll bet you can't, again, without a permit. I'd further suggest that such a permit would be difficult to get, unless you're a large distributor, and I don't think you are. Even though I don't know about Texas, I AM familiar with liquor laws generally.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 10:22 AM

How much wine are you going to transport, one bottle, or a semi truck full.

But you start would be the liquor board of each state, and not up on there but are there dry areas where wine may not be legal to have. I know there used to be places in AL like that.

Jan 17, 2010, 10:17 PM

Probably no more than a dozen bottles...

Jan 17, 2010, 10:18 PM
    I've already sent an inquiry to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, but thought I would ask here first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking wine vs dry red wine [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all: Thank you for reading/responding to this post. I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help...

Wine value [ 1 Answers ]

I was given a bottle of Calvet Reserve 1993 Bourdeaux - what is it worth? Is it drinkable after almost 20 years? It has been stored in the proper temperatures and position and out of sunlight. I would value any help in estimating the worth of the bottle or if it is drinkable. Thanks Steph

To Wine Or Not [ 1 Answers ]

To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine... and those who don't: As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at...

Wine value [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bottle of DELAS FRERES 1994 COTES-DU-VENTOUX and I would like to give it as a gift to my boss. Is this wine still good and is it a tasteful gift or just cheap wine?

Wine Value [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how much a 1972 magnum of Rothschild Mouton-Cadet Bordeaux is worth? Any ideas?

View more questions Search