Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 12:51 AM
    Reformatting and re-loading Windows
    I'm about to throw my laptop out the window due to it's slowness and resilient viruses.

I have decided to back-up my photos and just reformat it.

Only problem is I don't have a copy of Windows, it came already loaded onto my computer.
    Is there any way I can get a cheap copy?
    I don't want the new-fan-dangled Windows 7, just something that works (I currently have XP)

Do I have to buy it from a computer store or is there somewhere else I can get it from?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 17, 2010, 12:58 AM
    What brand of computer is it, as a lot of modern machines come with a recovery partition that has a copy of the system stored on the hard drive.
    This is normally accessed on boot up.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 01:00 AM

Thanks Ben,

It's an Asus Laptop, I don't know the model or anything sorry.

How would I go about finding out if the partition is there?
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 04:19 AM

Thanks Ben you're a gem, I'll give it a go later tonight!
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 07:11 AM

ARGH! After 2 solid hours trying to reload Windows I'm still at a loss.

I found the product key for Windows on a sticker underneath my laptop so I'd say I do have it on a partition, I just have no idea how to reload it.
    I have tried every way you posted and ways I found on Google with no luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2010, 07:20 AM

Shaz, What are the specs on that machine? I ask because you may want to reconsider going to Win 7. I loaded Win 7 on an old IBM Thinkpad I have. It has a single core Pentium M processor running at 1.8 Ghz and 1G of Ram. Win 7 runs sweet on that machine.
    kg5ie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 07:32 AM

Most computers today come with a restore partition. When my kids were in college we restored their computers every summer, just because they loaded so much junk from the school networks during the school year.

At bootup - you should be able to hit an "F" key to bring up the restore menue. On the ASUS usually "F8". It is sometimes hard to hit the F key just at the right time to get to the menu.

Once the menu comes up, you should be able to select restore from it. Pretty simple, but it does take a while.

Be advised! Back up your personal data you want to keep. The restore will wipe the drive and put it back to "out of the box" conditions. I can almost guarantee it will be loads faster since all of the spyware, malware, tracking cookies, etc. will be gone.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 07:39 AM

Does this make any sense to you Scott or am I looking at the wrong thing?

********************** Computer Info ************************

Logged in user: COMP
    Computer Model: A8J
    Computer Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partitio n1
    OS Version: 5.1.2600
    System Type: X86-based PC
    Total Physical Memory: 2559 MB
    Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
    BIOS Version: Default System BIOS
    CPU: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
    Resolution: 1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 07:41 AM

Thanks kg5ie, I have tried all of the F keys and none of them brought up an option to do a system restore.

I did find an option to restore to a certain date but I want to do a complete wipe, not just restore it to how it was a few months ago.

I have restarted my computer so many times tonight.
    kg5ie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 08:04 AM
    This is directly from the ASUS website in their support section:

Use the hidden partition, reserved for recovery purpose, in the hard disk to restore your computer to the factory settings.

"Restart your computer. Press F9 key immediately when the ASUS logo appears. This will start the recovery procedure, including the installation of all the drivers and utilities. Follow the instructions. Your computer will be restored to the factory settings."

Jan 17, 2010, 08:06 AM

Yep, you have 2G of Ram on a dual core 32 bit processor. I think Win 7 will make that machine perform much better than it did under XP.

Not all PCs have a Recovery partition. I was dealing with a Dell Inspiron yesterday that didn't. So, unless your machine came with a Recovery disk I think your best bet is to get an upgrade copy of Win 7 Home Premium. And do a fresh install.

Jan 17, 2010, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kg5ie View Post
    This is directly from the ASUS website in their support section:
    That's assuming ASUS put a recovery partition on it. The machine has an older processor so its several years old. I agree Shaz should try F9, but if it was there it would be shown during the POST.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 08:14 AM

I'll give the F9 thing one more shot then I think I will give up on that.

How much does Windows 7 cost roughly? I will definitely look into it.

Thanks everyone.

Jan 17, 2010, 08:20 AM
    I think the upgrade is about $79 USD. Not sure of the down under equivalent
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 08:24 AM

That's no-where near as much as I thought, thanks!

One last question... sorry
    If the budget doesn't allow Windows 7 (pay day is Tuesday so I will know then) is it illegal to borrow a copy of XP from someone?
    I think my fiancés mother might have a copy but I don't want to use it if it will get me in trouble.

Jan 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    is it illegal to borrow a copy of XP from someone?
    Yes and no. Windows is licensed to one machine only. However, since you do have a license and if you use that license key, you can use someone else's disk.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 07:54 PM

Thank you again Scott, you've been a great help!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Yes and no. Windows is licensed to one machine only. However, since you do have a license and if you use that license key, you can use someone else's disk.
    I'll second that.. just make sure which version of windows XP you are using to install is the same as your key is for as it is only good for the version yours came with. (Example - Home, Professional, Corporate) Don't forget to go to the manufacturares website to upload up to date drivers afterwards. That's the hard part.

It MAY require a call to Microsoft for activation however... you are typically allowed 3 reinstalls per license. (on same hardware only not 3 different machines)

I like Windows 7, but it won't work on all older machines. I have several Dells that just don't have Win 7 drivers (or Win Vista either) for things like onboard sound, even though they are reasonibly powerful machines. (2.8 ghz cpu's)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 22, 2010, 10:07 AM
    I had issues with Dell drivers (graphics), so I went to the part manufactures site and they worked a dream..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loading Windows 7 over Vista [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have Vista on my computer. Which I would like to get rid of. 1) I have read that Windows 7 be loaded over Vista. Would this be an improvement or just provide me with a different set of problems? 2) Can Vista be completely removed during the process or do they have to run in...

Loading Programs into Windows ME [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to load the netgear program for usb wireless network card "wg111v2" and had the following happen: 1. It froze the computer and had to reboot 2. The program would not run when double clicked. Any help will be very much appreciated. Rajen

Windows XP won't finish loading [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running Windows XP media center. When I start the computer up everything looks great but either nothing happens when I click on the start menu or icons or I get the hourglass that dosen't go away. Control, alternate, delete will not work either so I can't see what processes are running and...

Loading windows 98se [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am tying to load windows 98se after I fdisk and format the PC. The cd loads and starts installing 98se but it gets to a certain point and the PC goes to a blue screen and stops installing. I thought it was the hard drive so I put a new one in and it did the same thing

View more questions Search