Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Before you go through the pain and heartbreak of restoring the drive, have you:

1) De-fragged your drive, this will not lose any data files.

2) Scanned your drive using an app called RegCure?

Personally, the very last thing I would want to do is re-format the drive.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Yeah... drivers are a major PITA when rebuilding a computer from scratch for the average computer user... if you don't have or can't acess the recovery partition many manufacturers use.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 08:39 PM

Sorry guys, probably should have updated this thread earlier!

I did a reformat.

The only thing I really wanted to keep was my folder with all my photos and videos in it, other than that there was a lot of useless programs that the guy who built it put on there.

I got a copy of Windows XP Professional and just reloaded it on my computer.
    I had to get into the BIOS and change the order things started up in so the DVD drive loaded first... THAT was scary for me but I did it!

Everything seems to be running smoothly now apart from my sound, but I have yet to tinker with that to fix it.

I am still seriously considering Windows 7, a friend of mine can get it cheaper because he is a student (not much but hey, a discount is a discount)

Thank you to everyone for your help!

PS - when I loaded it on it never asked for my key!
    I don't know if that's because I didn't do an actual reformat reformat, I just loaded the disk over the top and it deleted everything itself.

So I spent ages holding my laptop over my head writing the key down for nothing (my screen is stuck open lol) :rolleyes:

EDIT - Finally found the sound card drivers online, yay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loading Windows 7 over Vista [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have Vista on my computer. Which I would like to get rid of. 1) I have read that Windows 7 be loaded over Vista. Would this be an improvement or just provide me with a different set of problems? 2) Can Vista be completely removed during the process or do they have to run in...

Loading Programs into Windows ME [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to load the netgear program for usb wireless network card "wg111v2" and had the following happen: 1. It froze the computer and had to reboot 2. The program would not run when double clicked. Any help will be very much appreciated. Rajen

Windows XP won't finish loading [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running Windows XP media center. When I start the computer up everything looks great but either nothing happens when I click on the start menu or icons or I get the hourglass that dosen't go away. Control, alternate, delete will not work either so I can't see what processes are running and...

Loading windows 98se [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am tying to load windows 98se after I fdisk and format the PC. The cd loads and starts installing 98se but it gets to a certain point and the PC goes to a blue screen and stops installing. I thought it was the hard drive so I put a new one in and it did the same thing

View more questions Search