Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckypitababy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2003, 04:19 PM
    Loss of pressure in shower
    We recently bought a home and a few weeks after we moved in the water pressure in the shower went crazy. Sometimes it happens less than a minute after you turn on the shower; at other times, you can make it through your shower without any problems. There is a sound like a "thunk," then the water reduces to a trickle out of the shower head. If you turn it off, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on, the water pressure is okay again.

We replaced the shower head, but it's still happening. The water coming out of the faucet into the tub is fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks for your help!! :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2003, 05:21 PM
    Re: Loss of pressure in shower
    In order to analize your problem I would have to know the brand name and a model# would be nice also. Give me all the information you have. How do you divert the water from the spout to the shower head? Is there a handle on the spout or is there a third knob? Your water supplies are clear. That's good. The problem's localized. I just need more information to pinpoint it. In other words, I got to know what's wrong before I can fix it. Let me have all the info you have and we'll go from there. Cheers, Tom

Nov 11, 2003, 09:33 PM
    The brand name on the water taps is Gerber. I couldn't find a model number. As to the method of diversion, there is a third knob. I hope this helps. Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2003, 06:03 AM
    It sounds as if the problem lies in the center diverter valve. The washer may have broken and fragmented. Water pressure could force a piece of that washer or a bit of solder into the diverter seat shutting off the flow. The answer is to remove the center handle, stem and washer assembly and check the washer, now shine a light on the seat and check for trash and last open up the hot and cold handles and flush out the valve. If the washer's worn or torn, replace it. Good luck, Tom

Nov 12, 2003, 05:19 PM
    Re: Loss of pressure in shower
    Thanks. I'll try that and hope it works!! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loss of Pressure [ 7 Answers ]

I recently made two changes and am not sure if the two are related. First, I changed both elements in my hot water heater which, unfortunately, didn't give me any additional hot water. Second, I changed my kitchen sink from one with a single handle to one with separate handles for hot and cold. ...

Loss of water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the deal: Have seen a slow but sure loss of hot water pressure in the five plus years we have been in the house. Water source is a well, so lime and minerals are likely to blame. Pipes are copper. Water is heated through the furnace, a Smith (Westcast) 8 Series boiler-burner unit. We...

Loss of pressure in bathroom shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All Need help. The electric shower in my bathroom has recently had a severe drop in water pressure, so much so that it is no more than a trickle of water now. I have checked the plumbing and there doesn't appear to be any breaks, leaks or blockages. Every other tap in the house has normal...

Loss of pressure with hot water [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what model number shower we have, but we built our house in 1985 and the shower says Château by Moen. Earlier this morning about 3 hours ago, the shower worked as it usually does, however now, the only water pressure we have going to the shower head and to the faucet to fill the tub,...

Loss of Water Pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Our house is on a slab. We have copper pipes. Just recently and rather abruptly we began to lose water pressure. When we turn on the shower the water pours out for about 10 seconds and then drops off to a near trickle. We have not changed or added any fixtures. The showers are both single handle...

View more questions Search