Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 12:26 PM
    Immigration
    Hi
    Does a green card holder need to stay in US for minimum number of days "every year" to avoid losing (cancelling) the green card? Can the person stay 364 days in India and 1 day in US every year to maintain green card status--or does he have to stay at least 6 months in US every year? Are there special rules for first visit to India etc? Thanks for sharing.
    -Thank you
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 16, 2010, 12:37 PM

You must maintain 50% of time in US. If you are going to stay abroad longer than 6 months, apply for re-entry permit before you go.
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 11:32 AM

Thanks, do we have to maintain 50% of time in US to avoid green card cancellation "even if we do not want to apply for US citizenship"? Can we apply for re-entry permit as many times as we want or will it be granted only once ? Can we stay 90% of the time abroad every year with such a permit?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 11:41 AM

Do we have to maintain 50% of time in US to avoid green card cancellation "even if we do not want to apply for US citizenship"?

YES

Can we apply for re-entry permit as many times as we want or will it be granted only once ?

NO

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration fees for Australian immigration [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Sir; I want to know the immigration fee for Australian Immigration please also clasify both refundable in case of rejection and non refundable immigration fee. I travers every Australian immigration web site but I did'nt find immigration fee please replay me soon. ...

Immigration H1 to L1 and then again to H1 [ 1 Answers ]

I had H1b from Aug 2001 to Aug 2004 and then from Aug 2004 to Aug 2007. In Aug 07 my employer transferred it to L1A. So far, I have spent 4.6 yrs in US. Can my H1b be revived/reactivated? Change I switch job?

Immigration [ 1 Answers ]

What is the way to immigrate to grenada island in the carribian? [email protected]

You.s. Immigration [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is a permanent visa for immigrants who are financially secure but are not seeking employment or starting a business.

View more questions Search