Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NNess Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Green board vs cement backer board for tub/shower surrounds
    Our tub/hand held shower surround currently has green board (mold & waterproofed board) on the walls and is primed and painted. We are wanting to tile the walls, do we need to rip out the current green board and put up cement backerboard or can we put it right over the current green board?
    NAN
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2010, 07:03 PM

If you leave tile over the greenboard and it gets wet... the tiles will fail
    What was there before?is this a new install?
    NNess Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 08:46 PM
    We are wondering if we can put up cement backer board over the current sheet rock and then tile. It is unfinished new construction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Can you paint cement backer board, then tile over it later? [ 3 Answers ]

We have put cement backer board up in the bathroom and plan to tile over it later. Can we paint it first until we have the time and money to tile it?

Cement backer board over vinyl tile [ 4 Answers ]

Is it OK to screw cement backer board over 12 x12 vinyli tile before applying ceramic tile?

Shower wall materials-Cement Backer Board or Drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I have a debate going on regarding whether one should use cement backer board or waterproof drywall on the shower walls before installing the ceramic tile. What is most commonly used in the industry? Looking forward to your answers :p

Applying Redgard (waterproofing) to cement backer board [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions. (1) Do I need to tape the seems on the cement backer board or should I use caulking? (2) If the seems need to be taped, do I apply the Redgard before or after I tape the seems on the cement backer board? I will be applying slate over the top of the board to create a...

View more questions Search