Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fairly Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2003, 07:11 AM
    Broken pipe in wall
    :'( Trying to fix clogged drains. While unscrewing pipe fitting from wall, pipe cracked. Lots of buildup in the grooves. Trying to replace the fitting and it won't fit due to grooves not being clean. What 's the best way to clean the grooves. Been "chipping" at it for 2 days... we are out both sinks in the bathrooms until this gets fixed. Also, would you recommend I get a plumber, or should this be an easy fix? Thanks so much for your help :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 26, 2003, 06:55 AM
    Broken pipe in wall
    Don't chip away at the threads. To clean up rusted threads I put a small wire brush on my cordless drill and buff the rust out. This works on both male and female threads. That way you won't nick them and cause a crossthread. How are you attempting to clear the drain? Plunger, snake? And why would it be necessary to remove the pipe to do it? Have you removed the plunger,(stopper) and checked the drain for hair build up? Since most kitchen sink and bathroom lavatory clogs occur in the lateral, (horzontal) pipe in the wall leading from the trap to the stack you won't have to run out much over 5 feet of snake. This should be a easy job for a home owner. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet drain pipe broken! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband removed a toilet today, it was leaking sewage on the floor and into the other room. When we pulled the toilet off, we knew why. The flange came with the toilet when we pulled it off along with some of the drain pipe. Clearly the pipe has been broken for some time. The flange was almost...

Fixing an elbow on a pipe against an outside wall? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a leak on an outside pipe coming from the 90 degree elbow bend (I think). I have wrapped it in that hardening tape, but it still leaks (much less now). I would like to fix the leak completely, but here are my problems. The pipe is right up against a wall, so getting around it is pretty...

Nut on wall pipe is too corroded and won't come off [ 1 Answers ]

The wall pipe under the kitchen sink has a hole. I already disconnected the end that attaches to the trap, but the side that connects to pipe in the wall is badly corroded and the nut won't come loose. I already tried banging the pliers with a hammer and WD40. I can't get it to budge at all. ...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Bathroom faucet drainpipe broken behind wall [ 11 Answers ]

1941 two-story house, working in 1st floor bathroom. While replacing a bathroom faucet, I discovered that the drain pipe going into the wall was broken in half, this is the piece behind the p-trap. The place that is broken is just behind the tile bathroom wall. I pulled one pipe half from the...

View more questions Search