Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 07:12 AM
    15 yr old living with family
    My 15 yr old niece has been staying with my cousin and my cousin's family for a year. A couple of years ago, my sister and her husband divorced (father abandoned the family to live in another state). Last year, my sister moved to another state with her boyfriend. My niece is in a stable home where she is treated very well and seems quite happy. She does not get along with my sister's boyfriend and really doesn't feel comfortable with the idea of living with them. My sister has not provided a stable permanent home for her children since her husband left, but she does have legal full physical custody of her children. Does my niece have any say in whether she stays with my cousin or must move to another state to live with her mother and her mother's boyfriend?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2010, 07:19 AM

Depending on the state, her preference would be listened to, but the decision is made by a judge.

Your cousin is playing with fire here. She has no legal standing with this girl. She can't authorize medical treatment or act legally for the child unless she has guardianship at least. If the child is going to stay with her, she needs to get this done.

Jan 16, 2010, 07:34 AM

Scott, Thank you for your reply. My cousin realizes that she has no legal standing with my niece. She and her husband would like to have guardianship, but the entire family is afraid to confront my sister, because she has already threatened to send the child to live with her father, something that even she knows is not a good idea. We just want my niece to be taken care of, stable, and happy. By the way, although my sister is receiving some child support from her ex, she does not provide support for my niece. My sister has her younger daughter living with her now (she also lived with my cousin for several months).

Jan 16, 2010, 07:39 AM

I'm not sure you understand. As an example, if you niece is in an accident, she may not be able to get treatment until the mother or father signs off.

This is a dangerous situation and NEEDS to be resolved. Your niece CANNOT be taken care of and given stability without your cousin getting guardianship.

Jan 16, 2010, 07:41 AM

Ahhh... I think I understand. Your concern is that she would not be able to receive even EMERGENCY medical treatment?

Jan 16, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mimom View Post
    Ahhh...I think I understand. Your concern is that she would not be able to receive even EMERGENCY medical treatment?
    Right, as a minor, she needs her legal guardian to approve medical treatment.

Also, who registered in school? Things like that.

Jan 16, 2010, 07:48 AM

My cousin registered her in school with her mother's permission. The child is doing better in school right now than she ever has before.

Jan 16, 2010, 12:39 PM
    When she was registered did the mother give permission for your cousin to act for her in school matters? Was this permission in writing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am depressed and sad living away from my family [ 1 Answers ]

I move to VT to open start up a B&B. I lived in PA with my 4 children and now have 9 grandchildren. They are from my first marriage. I have been married to my current husband for 0ver 10 years. My Dad is now 86. I have been in VT for 10 years. I feel the pull back to PA. I miss everyone so...

Choice between living with boyfriend or with family. What's best for us AND me? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having such a difficult time making this decision. It's actually causing severe anxiety and depression. Basically I'm living with my boyfriend 6 hours away from home, and I love him dearly and we're really happy together. We live in his grandma's house, and it's a really difficult environment...

Human? Family living in space, maybe? [ 1 Answers ]

I think it was a human family living in space. This was a kid's movie from the late 80's. I remember a narrow walkway though a void or space. Live action. I think they might have been pretending to be aliens? Could be wrong. I only saw this once back in the 80's. I remember it being very odd.

Son and family living with me, out of control [ 2 Answers ]

My 28 year old son and his family moved in with me 6 months ago, it was supposed to be for one month. They agreed to pay $125 a week for the 4 of them. Very seldom have I received any rent. They abuse me, they leave my house a mess, they threaten me and my pets. I can not afford to do an eviction...

When I should tell my family about living on-campus [ 6 Answers ]

Next year I would prefer to live on campus, because where I live is far to school, it takes me 1h 30 min to get there. So it limits my opportunities I can take on campus. I am thinking about taking minor (additional classes) and perhaps join some club, don't worry about weather- in Chicagoland it...

View more questions Search