Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaffier1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Family Law
    What is the child support guidelines in North Carolina if the custodial parent lives in New York with the child (18 y/o in college) and the non-custodial parent resides in North Carolina?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Hello jaff:

What?? Come on, dude. You can't do that to us. You haven't paid child support for 18 years? How did you do that? She just now decided to go after you? What again??

I'm guessing it's going to be about a third of your take home pay.

But, Dude, you're screwed. Whatever the guidelines are, you're going to have to pay them for the next three years while she's in college, and then you're going to have to pay 18 YEARS worth of back support.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2006, 03:54 PM
    What is the child support papers that you had when it all started.

Many of the older paperwork has the support stopping at 18 and did not include college. Most of all the newer ones include though college.

So basically if your court order includes though college. Or if it did not and the other party refiled to have it added. You would continue to pay just like you did for the previous years. same payment just continues.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 04:09 PM
    A lot depends on where the order originated (New York, North Carolina or elsewhere?) The fact that the child in question resides in New York would carry considerable weight in favoring New York's guidelines. Some states require child support to be paid past the age of 18 if the child is a full-time student (as is the case here.) Talk to an attorney for complete information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Family law [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to ask if after a teen 16 years of age moves out if the parents still have to support their teen with money? (kinda like paying child support)eg.money for dental,doctor,prescriptions,school supplies etc... :confused:

Help with family [ 3 Answers ]

Dear, I need help on a situation that, I guess can be described as somewhat abusive. My 20-year-old sister "Kim" has turned into a burden that I don't think I can handle, nor do I want to. I feel like my family is being torn apart an I am being torn up inside. "Kim" is the middle child in...

View more questions Search