Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2003, 07:09 AM
    Hot water flow
    When I turn the hot water tap on the flow is normal for about 1 min, then it starts to slow down and eventually stops. I turn the tap off and then back on and it does the same again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2003, 09:04 AM
    Re: hot water flow
    Good morning Andy, While you didn't say, I'm going to assume this valve, (kitchen, tub and shower or bathroom lavatory?? ) has two handles and not one. Sounds like you have something in your hot water supply line. A small pebble, a tiny piece of solder that's broken loose or it could be a washer that's came apart. When you first turn on the water the flow's is OK. Then the obstruction works its way up the line and blocks the flow. When you turn off the valve it falls back on down the supply until you draw on it again and the whole thing starts over. Again, assuming a two handle valve, you will have to shut off the hot water at the shut off valve located in the cabinet. Remove the handle. There will be a nut on the stem and washer assembly, this called the bonnet packing nut. Remove it and back the stem and washer assembly out counterclockwise. Check the washer If it's worn or broken, replace it. Also check the seat for nicks or rough spots. Now place a pan over the open valve body to reduce splash and open up the hot water shut off valve. You are flushing out the supply line. Reassemble the valve and test out. Hope this helps and thank you for using AskMe. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water Takes Too Long To Flow [ 8 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this problem? I and my suite downstairs have a problem of having to run the water for a really long time before the hot water flows out. We are wasting so much water while waiting for hot water. Sometimes it even starts luke warm then goes cold and then finally hot. We...

Water flow [ 5 Answers ]

Speedball1, I'm concerning about not having high volume of water to flow from all the newly added bathroom upstairs. What I have right now is a 3/4" cooper pipe comming in from the water meter. This 3/4" cooper pipe is then going into a manifold plumbing system for PEX pipes through out the...

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Low water flow from city supply [ 3 Answers ]

I have good water pressure at the inlet from the city supply at 80lb. When I turn on one tap the pressure dropped to 40-60lb. Each additional tap drops another 20lb+. The flow almost slow to a trickle especially the shower when I flush the toilet. I believe my problem is low flow from the city....

Lose Of Water Flow In Bathtub [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my bathtub water flow. I have a faucet with one knob that controls both the hot and cold water flow. I can pull it out with and have full water flow only if it is dispensing both cold and hot evenly. If I try to turn it to give me more hot or more cold the water flow...

View more questions Search