Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fairly Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2003, 05:53 AM
    Ice maker won't "pull" water
    ?? Every day I hear the metal bar in the icemaker drop down, then I hear the freezer pull water to fill up again. Now I hear the bar drop (no ice falling) and no noise afterward. Pulled the fridge out, and vacuumed underneath. My husband checked the water hose, water is running through it for the water dispenser.

So why doesn't it work all of a sudden?? Is this an electrical problem? Seems like everything else works. Just don't want to have to replace the icemaker yet!

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 28, 2003, 08:08 AM
    Is there ice in the tray that won't eject or are the trays dry? It sounds like the ice maker's cycling OK, you're just not getting water to it. You have pulled the 1/8" tubing and you get water through it? Have you checked the screen on the inlet vakve to make sure it isn't clogged? This could be the cause of your problem. Also check the eltro-magnetic inlet valve to make sure it's opening? Please get back and tell me what you find. Good luck, Tom

Nov 28, 2003, 12:02 PM
    Re: ice maker won't "pull" water
    No blockage. Water can be manually triggered to fill the ice maker (from the back of the freezer). So it seems to be a signal problem, electrical maybe?
    Whatever tells it to fill the ice maker, isn't communicating. Thanks so much again. My husband is working on this and appreciates your help.

Answer to your question - water (ice) tray is now dry. But we got some water to shoot into it. No ice cube blockage of any sort.
    :'( Almost completely out of ice cubes now...
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 28, 2003, 12:44 PM
    When there is water to the ice maker and there is a timer problem or the icemaker won't produce we simply change them out. However I suppect there is a contact that's dirty or a piece of trash is preventing contact. If hubby's handy he could pull the unit and check the contacts. If he still can't find the trouble he will have the old one out and be in a good position to install a new one. They aren't all that difficult to install. Good luck. Tom

Nov 30, 2003, 01:10 PM
    The ice maker/control unit is working. The valve is functioning. The timer seems to be working. The water can be manually triggered to fill the ice cube tray. Still trying to figure out this one  ??

Seems to be a problem somewhere between the ice maker/control unit down to the valve (inside the fridge). Any ideas? We're stumped on this one.
    Hubby still working on it...
    Thanks again for your help

PS Yes he cleaned all the electrical contacts
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2003, 04:15 PM
    To help you further I'm going to need the brand name and model # of your icemaker. I need to put the specs and a diagram. Thanks Tom

Nov 30, 2003, 06:09 PM
    We have a Kenmore side-by-side purchased 11/1997. Model#10657567790
    Hubby thinks we need part #4317943.
    Awaiting your input first.
    As always... thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2003, 08:42 AM
    Right on with the replacement # 4317943. ;) Kenmore gives the average life of a ice maker at 6 to 10 years. I guess if hubby's cleaned the contacts he could check the field on the timer for continuity but at $115.95 for a brand new unit why bother? They aren't that hard to replace and you'll have a worry free ice maker. Hey! You gave it your best shot. Time to bite the bullet :-/ and install a new icemaker. ;D Good luck, Tom
    doug24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
    Ice maker just stopped making ice. Changes the filter and checked the lines and no kinks. I unhooked the copper line and no water coming out. Checked the water supply was on and it was. Need Help
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 22, 2011, 01:22 PM

I unhooked the copper line and no water coming out
    Does that mean you disconnected the copper water supply line at the fill valve?

Do you have a saddle valve where the copper supply connects to the house plumbing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

"Sweat sock" smell, taste in water and ice [ 5 Answers ]

For the last 2 months, the water and ice that come from my refrigerator dispensers has smelled and tasted horrible and mildewy. I removed the (optional) water filter from the unit but the situation has not changed. (The filter was only 6 months old anyway.) Our tap water tastes fine--this seems...

View more questions Search