Ask
    MariMerc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 01:07 PM
    What defines an unfit mother
    Are their any specific reason to declare a mother unfit in the state of NYC
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 02:04 PM

Just a few, Drug, alcohol, verbal and physical abuse and wittholding the necessities of life are some I can think of right now, but there could be more. That just isn't in the state of NYC, that is just about worldwide.

Tick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 02:38 PM

What reasons do you think you have ?
    MariMerc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 02:45 PM
    I am just asking out of curiosity. Are there any moral reasons that some women may take lightly and are not aware of.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 02:50 PM

I find it interesting that you specify unfit MOTHERS.

Why not unfit "parents"?

Generally, you are considered unfit if you are an actual DANGER to your child.

Moral upbringing (or lack thereof), last I heard, wasn't a danger to a child.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2010, 07:42 AM

As Synnen said, the courts really don't care about moral issues. They've heard crazier things than you can imagine and it's always a waste of time; the judge doesn't care that one parent had an affair or is promiscuous. They care about who is going to provide the best environment for the child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MariMerc View Post
    I am just asking out of curiosity.
    Yeah right! Why are you trying to get your child from its mother?

There are NO laws that define an unfit MOTHER. The laws address fitness as a parent, gender is not specified. So whatever guidelines exist to determine a mother unfit would apply to the father as well.

Most states, including NY, go by the best interests of the child principle. A Family Court judge has significant leeway in deciding what the best interests of the child is in any custody. However, they will be very reluctant to remove a child from the custodial parent, unless that parent can be show to be a danger to the child. And moral grounds will rarely qualify.

Now why don't you tell us your real story so we can try to help you.

And by the way. as much as NY City would like to be separated from NY State, NYC is not a state unto itself. In terms of Family Law, generally state laws govern.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfit mother [ 2 Answers ]

I know a mom that is smoking marijuana but not around her child. She says her soon to be ex husband is saying he will take her child away from her because of that. Her soon to be ex husband is on parole, he quite paying child support, he lives with someone that smokes marijuana, he doesn't have a...

The mother is unfit what do we do from here [ 1 Answers ]

My soon to be husband and I have a nice house two other little girls, great jobs. He has another little girl from his ex wife. She came to visit us from cali. When we got a phone call from the mother saying she can't have her anymore. Can we keep her for 3-4 months she got kicked out of her...

Unfit mother [ 2 Answers ]

You need to stop going out all the time. I have two jobs and I go to school full time and I don't live anywhere around my mother. I NEVER go out and I got pregnant at 18 and I am now 22. I go out maybe once every 5 months. So, you need to buckle down and stop going out, or move out of your mom's...

Unfit mother? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a two year old son when my xhusband and I got divorced about a year ago and since then I have had to take on the role of being a single mother. I am a very devoted mother and my son is very well taken care of by myself. I have been recently been struggling with depression but am under the...

View more questions Search