Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
    RCA Television shuts on and off by itself
    We got this TV from my sister about 2 years ago. She didn't want it because she couldn't get any channels on it, just her DVD player & VCR so they unplugged it and left it on their enclosed porch for a few months until we took it. When we got home, we connected it, plugged it in and the channels came in without a problem... until now.

At random, it will shut off when you're watching it; after a few seconds, it will turn back on again. This will repeat for a few times. We tried taking the batteries out of the remote, plugging it into a different outlet... nothing helps.

It has a manufacturing date of 11/2006 so while it's not impossible, I can't believe something would short out so quickly. Any ideas as to what we could try replacing/attempting?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:04 AM

Assuming you have no other electrical problems (drops in electricity causing other devices like computers and such to shut off randomly) this sounds like an issue with the TV itself. Most likely a power supply issue, but it could be a short somewhere else. You could try a power conditioner on the line, but unless you have/had issues it probably won't fix this.

The best advise I can give you is to start calling around and see how much places charge for diagnostics on the TV. For in-home calls expect around $150. In store I would expect somewhere around $75. Most places I would imagine put some or all of the diagnostic fees back into the repair costs.

There's always the possibility things just start working again too. However, that's only happened to me a couple times, haha.

Although I don't recommend trying to take the TV apart and fix it yourself, if you are comfortable doing so and were looking for help with that, you'll need to post the model number.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FadedMaster View Post
    Assuming you have no other electrical problems (drops in electricity causing other devices like computers and such to shut off randomly) this sounds like an issue with the TV itself. Most likely a power supply issue, but it could be a short somewhere else. You could try a power conditioner on the line, but unless you have/had issues it probably won't fix this.

The best advise I can give you is to start calling around and see how much places charge for diagnostics on the TV. For in-home calls expect around $150. In store I would expect somewhere around $75. Most places I would imagine put some or all of the diagnostic fees back into the repair costs.

There's always the possibility things just start working again too. However, that's only happened to me a couple times, haha.

Although I don't recommend trying to take the TV apart and fix it yourself, if you are comfortable doing so and were looking for help with that, you'll need to post the model number.
    Thanks for the quick response. We're not having an issue with anything else, in that room or anywhere else in the apartment. The TV is/was plugged into a power strip along with everything else(surround system, DVD player, Wii, etc.) and nothing else is turning on and off the way the TV is.

The info I got off the TV is:
    Model 32V434T
    Serial #G446CF0DTN
    Tube type A80AEJ10X09
    bobslink2u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 09:13 PM
    I had a problem with low AC voltage on the circuit... fridge running it did this... so if you are having " Brown outs" it will switch off and stay off. Sometimes it will cycle on and off. I put in an extension cord to another outlet circuit and problem went away
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

13 inch rca tube television [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 13 inch rca tube TV. It works fine except for the fact that sometimes I can get the TV on I think it is the on/off switch. Would it be worth fixing and if so how much or should I just get a new TV

How to turn off SAP in RCA television [ 1 Answers ]

I have an RCA television about 6 years old with Second Audio Program (SAP). I need help to turn it off.

RCA Television sound stopped working [ 9 Answers ]

I normally have my TV connected to a amplifier and out to the speakers for sound. Well, today while watching the news, it was working fine and then suddenly the only sound I was receiving was static through the speakers. I changed the channel and got the same thing. I turned off the amplifier,...

View more questions Search