Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 09:07 PM
    Stuffed mouse
    Hi Everyone.

My friends little boy has a stuffed mouse. It's simple, cute, and was made by his grandmother. He carries it around with him everywhere he goes.

Sadly the mouse hold very bad memories for mom. Her mother made it while she was in rehab for alcoholism. She doesn't want the constant reminder when she sees the stuffed mouse. So I told her I'd try to make one.

I have great material. I have buttons coming out of my ears. It fits in an adults hand, it looks almost like a catnip mouse cat toy, but for a child. The thing is, I can't get the shape of the body down right.

It's simple. No feet, just a plain little mouse body. You'd think I'd be able to do it, but alas...

So, does anyone have a simple little stuffed mouse pattern? I'd really like to do this for her.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 13, 2010, 09:23 PM

I made this one for my newest niece. It's a little more elaborate, but it might work.

www.sewingstars.com/mousepattern.htm

You can also try this one, just blow it up.
    http://sewing.about.com/od/freeproje...atmousetoy.htm
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 09:25 PM
    I don't have any of my own, but I found these on-line. Will any of them help?

http://indiefixx.com/2008/02/12/tues...ern-a-contest/

Free Pattern & Directions to Sew a Cat Mouse Toy with Catnip Refill Opening

www.sewingpatterns.org.uk/

mollychicken.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/mousey-and-his-.html

Good luck. :)
    Experts

Jan 13, 2010, 09:34 PM

great minds, cat. We ended up with 2 of the same patterns, just from different sites ^_^
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 09:36 PM

Cat I think you got it! The third one, the little grey mouse, looks exactly like the one he has. :)

HH, thanks so much. I found both of those patterns. I like the second because it's very similar to the one he has but I couldn't find a large printable pattern on the site. The first one is a bit elaborate. I could make it, but it's not what he has and loves, even though I think it's cuter. ;)

Thanks you two. I'll post the picture of what it looks like when I'm done, if you promise you won't laugh. Sewing is not one of my talents. I can do it, but I'm not great at it. I miss my mom, she could sew like no one else I knew.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 09:42 PM
    Can't wait to see the picture:D
    Experts

Jan 14, 2010, 10:07 AM

We won't laugh. Promise.
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 11:21 AM

I'm almost done. I just have to find something to use as a tail and then find batteries for my camera.

So far the poor thing looks like a mouse used in the lab. :(

He's still cute though, just looks a bit sad, in many ways. ;)
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 11:38 AM

Okay, here it is. I don't like the ears, looks too much like puppy ears, but I think the rest looks mousy.

Remember, don't laugh.

Name:  Bunny binky room 005.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  Bunny binky room 004.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  44.4 KB
    Marriage Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Okay, here it is. I don't like the ears, looks to much like puppy ears, but I think the rest looks mousy.

Remember, don't laugh.

Name:  Bunny binky room 005.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  Bunny binky room 004.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  44.4 KB
    It is so adorable. :)

I hope the little guy will accept it as a substitue for the other one.

You did a good job.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:52 AM
    He's so cute!:D You did that pretty quick too!
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks Cat.

I sewed the whole thing by hand because the material is a bit tough to work with on the sewing machine. Lots of fluff coming off, also, I'm not used to working with something so small.

The material is actually leftover from the costume I made Sydney a few years back. It was my first time sewing anything, so I was really proud of it. Here's a picture;

Name:  Sydney as kitty 005.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  95.4 KB
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    He's soo cute!:D You did that pretty quick too!
    Thanks JD. If worse comes to worse I can take off the button nose and give it to my puppy. ;)
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 04:04 PM

So I brought the mouse to the school when I picked up the kids. When the mom saw it she almost cried, she was so happy. She gave it to her little guy and he grabbed it, hugged it and said "my mousy". Now her daughter, my daughter and my 11 year old son all want one.

She begged me to show her how to make it, she has material that she bought just for this purpose but she didn't know how to go about it. So tomorrow after I drop the kids off at school I'm going to her house and we're making mice. :)

I'm so happy she liked it and that her little guy did too. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Thanks Cat.

I sewed the whole thing by hand because the material is a bit tough to work with on the sewing machine. Lots of fluff coming off, also, I'm not used to working with something so small.

The material is actually leftover from the costume I made Sydney a few years back. It was my first time sewing anything, so I was really proud of it. Here's a picture;

Name:  Sydney as kitty 005.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  95.4 KB
    And I thought my Two Peas In a Pod costume was cute! You have me beat by a mile!!
    Marriage Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 05:21 PM

Alty, I think your mother would be proud of you not just for the sewing but for the caring and sharing. :)

Sydney and the costume are soooo cute. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Alty, I think your mother would be proud of you not just for the sewing but for the caring and sharing. :)

I completely agree!!
    Experts

Jan 14, 2010, 06:06 PM

OK, that is just adorable.
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 06:25 PM

Well I just made another mouse for Sydney. She's thrilled, put a little pink scarf around it, named it "Squeakers". I may never have to buy another stuffed animal again. ;)

Thank you all for the compliments, I'm really blushing over here. It was fun to make and it felt really good. I can't believe how happy she was. When I told hubby he said "What kind of jerks does she know? Isn't she used to people doing things for her just because?" I guess R doesn't realize that most people won't do anything for anyone else, no matter how small.

I started knitting the scarf for her daughter. I hope to have it done tonight so I can bring it over tomorrow morning while we're drinking coffee and making mice. :)
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post

I wish my mom and dad had lived to see what I'm doing. No, I'm not a pro by any means, in fact I'm sure my mom would look at that costume and the mouse and say "Nice try...but". Still, I'm pretty proud that I did it.

As for my dad, he'd be shocked that I make tables and key boxes and other wooden things. He wouldn't even let me mow the lawn when I was little because I'm a girl. He contradicted himself though, wanted me to go to college, have a career, but I can't mow the lawn? Doesn't make sense. When I bought my first new car I insisted on a standard because my dad said that women shouldn't drive standards. I was always a rebel. ;)

If my dad saw me using power tools, saws, drills, sanders, he'd have a heart attack. The funny thing is, he'd be so proud, he'd tell everyone he knew.

He was such a contradiction. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have I stuffed up? [ 10 Answers ]

My ex partner and I had been together for 7 years. He has decided to leave me because I wasn't honnest with him (which I called it a little white lie) anyway over a year ago we were having problems and I went out to a pub with some friends, I got attention from the lead singer of a band. Stupid me...

Sniffing stuffed toy [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a son who is now 10 years old. He has a stuffed toy which is now in shreds. He is attached to his toy.He holds it close to his face and sniffs it... he has been doing this for the past 7 years. I am concerned that he may develop an addition to other substances when he grows...

Over stuffed duplex [ 2 Answers ]

I watch some children and their parents are separated. Their mother is living in a 2 bedroom duplex and has moved in her boyfriend his 3 other women in his life and 11 of his kids. The kids are 2 teenagers, 10 year old, 8 year old, two toddler, and two new babies and then she has an 8 year old of...

Installing mouse w/o a mouse [ 1 Answers ]

My mouse went out on an old computer and I have tried installing new software using only keystrokes to no avail. Everything I try comes back to the same problem -- not having a mouse. I can't uninstall the old software w/o a mouse. I'm lost. Suggestions appreciated. Ed

Stuffed up! [ 16 Answers ]

Ok hi all, Most of you probably know me and my story. If not you can read my first thread. I had a bit of a tough weekend and just felt like sharing / venting. I ran into my ex out and about on Saturday night. I was with a few of my friends / acquaintances and she was with her sister and few...

View more questions Search