Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    contactsaurabh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 11:15 PM
    Procedure to withdraw 401k money
    Hi,

I was employed with an american firm till the end of September 2006. I am no longer living in the US.

I want to withdraw my entire 401 K amount early next year.

What is the procedure to withdraw the money ?

There is a tax penalty of 10%... when I receive the amount, will it be the full amount or will it be after deducting 10% ?

Please let me know the details...

Thanks
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 17, 2006, 11:39 PM
    You need to contact the administrator of the plan to discuss your options. Unfortunately you not only have to pay the 10% penalty for early withdraw, but you also have to pay the income tax on the amount you withdraw because it was deducted from your pay on a pre-tax basis. I think that 20% of the withdraw is usually withheld for taxes.

Another option is to take a loan against the money in the account. Most plans have an option of doing this. You have to make regular payments on the loan, but the money goes back into the account, minus interest.
    contactsaurabh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 11:48 PM
    The thing is... I do not plan to come back to USA. Hence talking a loan and paying it back would not be a good option.

In 2007, this would be the only income that I would have in the US. The total amount is about $10K.

What do you suggest ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 18, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Check to see if your country allows transfers from U.S.-based IRAs to a similar account in your country. If so, transfer the moey from the 401K to an IRA, then to your home country account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hsg procedure [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying for about a year now. This month I am having a hsg done. Checking tubes to see if they are blocked. Does anyone know if this procedure is very painfull

What is the best way to use my 401K money when I don't have a job [ 7 Answers ]

I had to quit my job 3 weeks ago and am 52 and cannot find a job that pays enough to pay my house pmt and others. I have about 44,000 in 401 and owe about 7,000 on a loan from the 401. I need the money to pay bills until I can find another job. I can't find anything that pays more than 9.00 an...

Need money from 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Need to take my money out of my 401k plan,what steps do I need to take.

Need money from my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. I am only 31 and I want to cash out my simple 401k that I have now and am still with the same emloyer. I want it to pay off my debt. Is there anyway I can get that money? I don't care if I pay a penalty at this point. Do I...

Taking money out of my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question hopefully you can help. I worked for United Parcel Service for about 4 years. I no longer work for them anymore. How do you think I can go about getting my money out of there 401k. I know about penalties and risks. But do you think I can be intitled to getting that money that I've...

View more questions Search