Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smanoc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Legalities of neighbors to turn my water off to work in their home/cut walls to work?
    My downstairs neighbor moved in 2 years ago. It seems like they don't realize we live in a 2 story condo not a custom home. One top another bottom. There are other questions I wish to ask as well. But first the male occupant is a handy man and has been doing lots of modifications to his home since moving in. Lately for the past six months he's been tearing up the guest bathroom directly below mine and the piping. I see lots of dry wall being taken out to the trash but no dry wall being installed. So I assume his walls are bear. He cuts the buildings water off to cut the water pipes in the bathroom. Apparently we share the same water line from the main. Does he have the right to turn off my water to work on the pipes in his home? Or cut up the walls of his home to do this work?
    The same neighbors also planted lots of plants outside in the front of the home. At times I smell a chemical smell like pesticide at strange hours of the night say 3 am 4 am. The female occupant hasn't left the house for 1 month. I haven't seen her and no one else in my household has seen her come out until about 4 days ago.

I don't want to sound paranoid but I think they may be stealing hot water from us because my hot water pipes run when they turn on the shower downstairs where the construction took place. Myself and other in my household notice we loose hot water after 10 min even though the water heater is a notch above HOT. I want to be sure before I point any fingers I know what Im doing and be positive about the situation.

They are very strange individuals they stay up all night, I here there front door open and close constantly. They smoke 24, 7 as they stay in their home all day everyday. It seems as though that is all they do. Smoke, who knows maybe crack or even meth they sleep mid day. There is a strange musky air in my room when I close the windows and doors. So I'm forced to leave my window fully open in my room. Ive talked to them about their chain smoking so they smoke in the bathroom which comes directly up into my home because his walls are bear from the construction.

Id like to go downstairs and check the front of the house at night to make sure there isn't a bottle of chemical agent such as pesticide etc. open. My window faces there front door so they know when Im sleeping and if my windows open. Once again Im not paranoid but I feel like they want to harm my health or even kill me because they dislike the fact I don't want them to chain smoke into my home. What do I do? I want to know my legal rights as far as him turning my water off and dismantling his walls? What about going to look at the front door for chemicals?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 04:32 PM

Have you taken any of this up with your condo association? Especially the stealing of the hot water?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2010, 04:43 PM

They have every right to tear up their walls. But they shouldn't not be able to should not be able to shut off water to the building without a permit.

Twinkie is right, you need to take this up with your condo association.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2010, 05:35 PM

Afterr you make a complaint to the Condo Association ,( you do have one don't you?) Call the Building Department and see if your neighbpor pulled a permit. If not then call a inspection on him and if a permit were pulled call the inspector and tell him of your concerns about the hot water. Twink and Scott Jem are correct. By code your water systems should be separate. Lotsa code violations here. You do live in the states don't you? Back to you, Tom

Jan 15, 2010, 09:43 AM

Ok so I called the city it turns out he had a permit to replace his bathtub. I was told his actions were legitimate by a building and safety representative.

Jan 15, 2010, 09:47 AM
    Our cold water is combined because we do not pay water utilities our association does. So in order for him to turn off his water he has to turn mine off. The city rep. asked me how long he had the water off I said 30 to hr he said "o that's not a big deal".

My question is how long does that permit work for when it comes to using it to turn the water off? Of course he can't in one or two months turn my water off using the same permit can he?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2010, 09:56 AM

Depends on when the permit expires. Generally, the water needs to be turned off while new pipes are being connected. Once the pipes are connected it shouldn't be necessary to turn the water off again. Once the work is finished, then it has to be inspected to make sure it was done right.

Call the building department again, ask if the permit expires and when and ask if an inspection has been scheduled.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2010, 10:01 AM

In order not to be inconvienienced again ask about the possibility of having separate shutoffs. One day you'll have to replace something and have to inconvienience him.

It MIGHT not be too difficult because he has the walls open.

Maybe he'd be willing to do it for you?

I should think that he'd be nice and give you some notice that he's going to do it.

Jan 15, 2010, 02:01 PM
    The guy at the city tells me its already been inspected.

Aside from the water the musky oder that comes into my room is only occurring at night. It's a thick, hard to breath, and almost smells like formaldehyde. Ive been having blood in my sinuses for a year now. I know it can be caused by dry air cracking membrane in my sinus cavity but for 1 year? I'm going to call the police tonight. Ill close my door and window and let it fill my room. Its distinguishable from breathable air. I'm debating suing the guy he's infringing on my right to enjoy my home. 2 years of on off construction, the water shut offs, constant smoking of who knows what. Making my sleeping environment unsuitable. I live in a house but I'm debating sleeping in my car. I mean ffs this is ridiculous at least let me sleep without trying to kill me.

How can I measure the air quality in my room/ and its contents?
    I need some hardcore evidence.
    They stay up for 24 or 48 hours on some nights smoking constantly.
    Would a law enforcement officer know the smell? If he deems it harmful what can he do? What can I do?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2010, 07:37 AM

ask about the possibility of having separate shutoffs. One day you'll have to replace something and have to inconvienience him.
    KISS is bang on! Even if there's a common water supply there soiuld be a main feeding the building with a shutoff to each unit so repairs can be performed without impacting on the other units. This is code in all the areas That I've worked in. If you think your neighbors are smoking anything other then tobacco you have every right to complain to the police. But do it when the odor's the strongest.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piecework at home/ Packaging work at home or crafts work [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking for a part time job as due to my GCSE I will have 3 months off after them, and I have heard of piecework which I am interested in, however I don't know what to serach for who to contact can someone help me out please as I would appreciate it. Could you please list a few manufacturers...

Lennox heat turn off and turn back on to work [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lennox heater I have to turn it off and turn it back on to get it to heat. What is wrong and how do I fix it.

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

6 weeks pregnant should I cut down on hours of work? [ 6 Answers ]

I found out I was 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, this is my second time becoming pregnant,the first one ended in a m/c in June. I am working 40 hours plus time spend in court, should I cut it down by at least 8 hours a week in order to give the baby and I a rest?

When I turn on the cold water, it doesn't work. But hot does!- Whole house [ 1 Answers ]

This morning when I went to turn on the cold water, it doesn't work but when I turn the hot on it does. It's the same in the entire house, including the hose bibs, with the exception of my daughters bathroom sink. We've since turned off the water to the house. Is this a burst pipe?

View more questions Search