Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klee Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Brown discharge before period!
    Hi! This is my first time on this site... but here is my question!. I'm 20 years old and sexually active. I usually have sex at least once a day, give or take a few, with my boyfriend. He was a virgin before me (that is certain). I am on birth control pills and I also usually use condoms just in case. I recently switched back to my old birth control which is orch. Tricyclin low(sp?)... because my other birth control expired and I haven’t been able to go re stock. My body stays pretty regular most of the time... nothing abnormal usually happens even if I switch my birth control. My periods are never more then a day or two late and I usually get the same symptoms before I start ( tender breasts, some cramps and fevers, moody/ emotional) this all happens before I start and then I start feeling better and better once I do start. This month however my boyfriend and I decided to not use a condom a couple of times because I am on birth control pills. These are close to the only times I haven’t used a condom. Towards the end of the month( I still had about 5 pills left before my period was suppose to start) I experienced some brown discharge. Each day I got more and more... not a ton, but enough for me to stain my underwear a bit.. it also seemed to get darker and darker( once or twice there was some red). This would be semi normal if I were done with my pill pack but I wasn’t so I think it’s a little weird. Now I am done with my pills and my period seems to have started but I'm not to sure... so far it just kind of started and then stopped, but its only the second day or so. I also haven’t experienced my breasts being tender until now... once I started my period... which doesn’t usually happen in that order. I also have mild stomach pains, headache and am just generally tired. There were a few days this month that I took my pill a few hours late and am worried I might be pregnant or something might be wrong. Please help. Sorry is this is a bit confusing but I wanted to add as much information as possible. Im not sure if this would make a difference but I am also a tad bit anemic... just enough to not be able to give blood... I should be taking more iron and my doctor presses that... this has never seemed to bother me before though and I doubt its getting worse.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 08:13 PM
    Okay, let me start by saying that I my 2 oldest sons were conceived while I was on the pill. I took it religiously at the same time every day.

Secondly, I need to let you know that the pills you are taking right now, you said yourself are old, and may be expired and less effective.

However, this could also be hormonal. You are only 20 and your hormones have not yet settled down. This happens around 25 -28.

If you do not get your period within the next week you should make an appointment with your doctor.

Nov 17, 2006, 08:18 PM
    If I do get my period does that mean that I am not pregnant for sure? Or is there still a possibility I could be... or that I should check to see if something else is wrong?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 08:19 PM
    period = no pregnancy.

However, since you switched your pills on your own, it may be best to get checked out and make sure that is all it is.

Nov 17, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Thanks!
    DntWrrybtIt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
    Okay noneya, u aren't a doctor evidently because, period does not equal no pregnancy. My mom didn't even know she was pregnant with me until she was 3 months because she was still having a period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brown Discharge instead of a period [ 1 Answers ]

I have been going through menopause for the last couple of years. I have just turned 50. Instead of having a period, I have brownish clotty material. Also, when it is time for me to have had my period, I experience excruciating pain in my back... to the point I have to go to a chiropractor. I'm...

Brown discharge when period should have been [ 5 Answers ]

I was on the birth control pill for about 2 1/2 years, but my doctor's office was late calling it in, so last month I was not on it. Had sex using pull out method. Thought my period came last Sunday, but have only had a brown discharge with very tiny clots occasionally, lasting a week and a day...

Brown Discharge Instead of Period [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm 19 and I recently have changed from the Implanon Implant to the Patch and on Saturday I took my last patch off to have my week "off" when I started my period on the correct day it was just brown discharge and it has been like that ever since my periods normally last 4 to 5 days I really...

Brown Discharge before period.. [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 3 months, at the beginning of every period I have about a day of only brown discharge. It doesn't have a funny odour, and like I said it only lasts a day... if that. I noticed that it started doing that after I had a yeast infection which I treated with monistat.. which was just...

View more questions Search