Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thisisdumb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 09:46 AM
    High utility bill due to hvac unit
    We live in KY and are in the final stages of adding on to our house. We added a new hvac unit to the new addition but kept the older one (4years old) but reran some registers to heat and cool the existing house. We turned on both units about 6-8 weeks ago and our December electric bill was 220.00 and we do not live there, we have no appliances, and no hot water heater hooked up. The electric company told us that next month we are looking at 600.00 because we are using so many kw. We think the problem obviously has to do with the heat and air units. Any suggestions or where do we start?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 10:22 AM
    It is very much more expensive to heat a empty house (as you finding out) the furniture /carpet help by holding heat,, sounds like you are using electric furnace/airhandler,, it don`t come cheap,, turn the tstat down,40 to 50 degrees is very comfy for a empty house
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 01:07 PM
    Blow the water lines and fill the plumbing traps with the pink antifreeze. This way your will have NO heating bill since you do not live there and no heat will be required or used.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 01:33 PM

Is this a Heat Pump? If so, you could be on emergency heat for whatever reasons.

People add heat to a house.

Turn the temps down to prevent damage to pipes and furniture.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 04:34 PM

You say you are in the final stages of finishing an addition. Is the addition insolated, drywalled, windows in, doors in, all sealed up. If not, the new furace thermostat is most likely in the addition and is running the furnace constantly. I agree with above statements, if you are not living there, have the home winterised. If home is winterised correctly, you can turn off power and gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Utility bill debt [ 2 Answers ]

Is a utility bill debt non valid after six years ?

Journalize Utility Bill [ 2 Answers ]

I do you journalize a bill received but will not be paid until next month?

New hvac Unit [ 5 Answers ]

Looking to replace my not so efficient hvac unit. Considering goodman or trane. Any suggestions ? Presently my eer is like 79 or 80. Shouldn't it be like 92 ?

Whose responsible for Utility increases due to repair? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm curious if anybody knows what the law in Alabama is or if you can direct me to the right people to call to find out what the rule is about repairs and the increased bills due to it. Example; We had a water leak that we noticed a couple months ago. We attempted to contact our landlord...

View more questions Search