Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colorado367 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 09:25 AM
    Judgment assessment
    My wife has a judgment against her for a Medical bill before we were married. (She has attempted to work out payment plan to no avail, but that is another matter) She does not work and is attending school. After a levy on our joint account I have removed her from all accounts and her name is not on our house.

I have two questions:
    Can a levy be assessed against a jointly filed income tax return?

Can a levy be assessed against her incoming student loans? Specifically the portion of the student loan deposited in my account to pay for text books and parking.

Please note we are not trying to get out of this judgment, but necessity (and lack of co-operation from collection agency) is delaying resolution.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by colorado367 View Post
    Can a levy be assessed against a jointly filed income tax return? .
    The IRS has a form. I believe it's called an "injured spouse declaration", or something like that. I don't know if a non-governmental entity like a collection agency can levy on your tax refund, but in any case that form should head it off.

Can a levy be assessed against her incoming student loans? Specifically the portion of the student loan deposited in my account ...
    No, the account is no longer hers.

The loan amount can possibly be garnished before it is dispursed to her, but that's really doubtful, and I wouldn't worry about that.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 02:40 PM
    My wife has a judgment against her for a Medical bill before we were married. (She has attempted to work out payment plan to no avail, but that is another matter) She does not work and is attending school. After a levy on our joint account I have removed her from all accounts and her name is not on our house.

I have two questions:
    Can a levy be assessed against a jointly filed income tax return?

Can a levy be assessed against her incoming student loans? Specifically the portion of the student loan deposited in my account to pay for text books and parking.

Please note we are not trying to get out of this judgment, but necessity (and lack of co-operation from collection agency) is delaying resolution.
    As AK Lawyer explained, there is a form you can fill out that may or may not help you and as far as I'm aware, tax refunds cannot be intercepted by non-government entities.

And unfortunately, it's not "lack of co-operation from collection agency" which got you into this mess. It's your wife's fault; the time to work out a payment agreement is before a judgment is placed, not after. Once they receive that judgment, there's nothing stopping them from using any means possible to collect on the full amount that was awarded to them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2010, 02:53 PM

There is a process that can attach a refund, but its complex and most creditors will not bother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clim assessment [ 1 Answers ]

The Father died having one son and a younger brother. And a sister, The Deceased was living in Las Vegas USA. The Deceased has shot Himself The brother living in the UK The Deceased left his Wife and son when the son was 4-5 years old,and did not see him till 4 years ago. The son is 33 now....

Can condominium assessment be a deductible expense? [ 1 Answers ]

I am right now a comdominium unit owner and the condominium complex is planning to make major repairs and is now going to charge unit owners for an assessment for the repairs. Can I use this assessment as a deductible expense?

Obtaining a Judgment on a debt that has a prior Judgment [ 1 Answers ]

Now I thought that you can't get another judgment on a debt if there is a prior judgment obtained back in July 2004 from Ohio. But the debtor moved to New York and they want to have an atty in New York place another judgment on the same debt. Don't they have to request an Exemplified Judgment...

Non payment of time share assessment [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know what the time-share management can do if I refuse to pay my yearly assessment. The time-share is in solana beach

Property Assessment [ 6 Answers ]

My Landlady is trying to get her property reassessed, (I think to refinance.) The property she owns is one parcel about 4.5 acres with 3 rental units on the same property. She got mad when she found out that the assessor was looking around the property, she said that he was only supposed to...

View more questions Search