Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cfifigo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 11:34 PM
    Music shows up in media player but not itunes
    I have lots of muisc that opens under windows media player. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the music to show up through I tunes (I want to put the music on my iPod. Cannot get the iPod to show up on the media player)
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jan 13, 2010, 12:00 AM

You have to send the music to itunes because it has to covert the music to a different format.
    You can covert the music by clicking on "file" in itunes.

Then click "add file to library" or "add folder to library."

Then select the file from the music folder and click "ok."

It takes a long time to convert all of the files. Everything will show up it itunes after everything it converted.

Jan 13, 2010, 08:35 AM
    I am sorry for being so slow... but How do you "send" the music to itunes? I have a Sansa M250 with the music on it - all plugged in (recognized by windows media but not Itunes); I have the music in my music folder and I have the same music in Windows media - If you could direct me "how" to send these files to itunes to be converted... thank you

Jan 13, 2010, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cfifigo View Post
    I am sorry for being so slow...but How do you "send" the music to itunes? I have a Sansa M250 with the music on it - all plugged in (recognized by windows media but not Itunes); I have the music in my music folder and I have the same music in Windows media - If you could direct me "how" to send these files to itunes to be converted...thank you
    The steps I gave you before also sends the music to itunes. It will first convert the files and the files will then appear in the itunes library. Here are the steps again. They will both convert the files and send them to itunes.

1. go to itunes and click on "file" in the left top corner.
    2. next click on "add folder to library."
    3. a box will appear. Find your music folder. (if you have windows vista the music folder is in the left panel)
    4. in your music folder select one of the folders that has the title of the artist.
    5. click "select folder" in the bottom right corner of the box.
    6. a message will come up telling you to that the WMA format needs to be converted. Select "convert" when the message appears.
    7. the files in the folder will covert and appear in the itunes library. You can sync them to your iPod by selecting your iPod in the left panel under "devices." (your iPod has to be plugged in for this to show up)
    8. repeat the steps to add other artists folders to your library.

Also, the iPod will not show up in windows media because it is not compatible with it. The sansa also won't show up in itunes because it is not compatible with itunes. Hope this helped.

Jan 13, 2010, 01:33 PM

OMG - I did not realize the first one was directions, what a bone head, I am sorry! I did try that last night, but was missing the step where I pick the music folder - I was trying to pick each individual song and it was not working! I am such a moron sometimes...

Thank you for your help... is it possible to get the iPod music that was purchased onto the sansa? The iPod is my daughter's (kids!) I have the Sansa and would like to get some good music on it... Do you have any ideas to help me with this?

Thanks so much!

Jan 13, 2010, 04:23 PM
    OMG - I did not realize the first one was directions, what a bone head, I am sorry! I did try that last night, but was missing the step where I pick the music folder - I was trying to pick each individual song and it was not working! I am such a moron sometimes...

Thank you for your help...is it possible to get the ipod music that was purchased onto the sansa? The iPod is my daughter's (kids!) I have the Sansa and would like to get some good music on it...Do you have any ideas to help me with this?

Thanks so much!
    You can actually do the files individually also. You just have to select "add files to libraray" instead of selecting "add folder to library." it's easier to tranfer more music by doing it by folders, but if you only want one song from one folder you can just use the file option.

Here's how you can add itunes music to windows media. This might be a little bit different on your computer if you don't have windows vista.
    1. hold your mouse near the "library" tab in windows media and click on the arrow that appears.
    2. select "add to library..." a box will appear that says "add to library" at the top.
    3. then select "my folders and those of others that i can access"
    4. next select 'add.. " another box will appear that says "add folder" at the top.
    5. find your music folder. it should be inside of the first folder that appears in the list.
    6. open the music folder and find the "itunes" folder in the list among the artists titles
    7. click on the "itunes" folder and then click "OK"
    8. click ok again in the "add to library box. All of your itunes music that wasn't already in windows media will load into your library. Everything should appear an a couple of seconds. It's doesn't take as long as itunes.

Jan 13, 2010, 05:18 PM

Okay - that worked, sort of, I have a few songs, that were purchased - show up on my purchased songs in Itunes, but are not adding to library with everything else... ideas?

Thanks so much - you have been awesome!

Jan 13, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Okay - that worked, sorta, I have a few songs, that were purchased - show up on my purchased songs in Itunes, but are not adding to library with everything else...ideas?

Thanks so much - you have been awesome!
    Which library is it not showing up in? Is it not showing up in the itunes library or is it not coming up in the windows media player library?

Jan 13, 2010, 06:30 PM

Not coming up on the media player

Jan 13, 2010, 06:51 PM

When you click on the itunes folder (step 6 in the directions I gave to you) open the itunes folder. Then open the "itunes music" folder. Then select the name of the artist you want and click OK. Do this for each artist folder.

Jan 13, 2010, 07:46 PM

AH... got it... will get back with you - thank you -

Ps.. I love your sketch on your profile..

Jan 13, 2010, 07:54 PM

You're welcome :)

Jan 17, 2010, 04:10 PM

I have tried removing all folders and adding again... I am still missing 9 songs... of course the songs I purchased and want! I guess the good news is I can get them on the iPod - just not the sansa... I just don't get it... I guess next I will try and burn it onto a disk then load it onto media player that way... I cannot think of another way...

Thanks for your time... it is a bit frustrating, yeah?

Jan 17, 2010, 04:18 PM

By the way - is there ANY way to sync the iPod to windows media? Cannot seem to that either.

Thanks

Jan 17, 2010, 06:38 PM
    By the way - is there ANY way to sync the ipod to windows media? Cannot seem to that either.

Thanks
    Nope. I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Microsoft and apple are competitors so apple would never make ipods compatible with windows media. That's why they created their own software, itunes. That's also why windows media files have to be converted when you use them with itunes. Ipods can't read the WMA format used by windows media like the sansa. Other mp3 players are similar, like the gigabeat. It uses it's own software, but it can still use the wma format. iPod can't. It's like trying to open an adobe file in word. It doesn't work.

Jan 17, 2010, 06:40 PM

Can't they just get along? Ha

Jan 23, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XOXOlove View Post
    you're welcome :)

Sorry to bother you again, and again... but another ?

Can I get the genius playlists on windows media player - will they export or is that an apple vs windows issue again?

Thanks!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
    I have tried removing all folders and adding again...I am still missing 9 songs...of course the songs I purchased and want! I guess the good news is I can get them on the ipod - just not the sansa...I just don't get it...I guess next I will try and burn it onto a disk then load it onto media player that way...I cannot think of another way...

Thanks for your time...it is a bit frustrating, yeah?
    Itunes encrypted music you buy from their store. You won't be able to view it in any other media player, or on other computers. You can register up to 5 computers to have access to the songs you buy from the itunes store.

Sorry to bother you again, and again...but another ?

Can I get the genius playlists on windows media player - will they export or is that an apple vs windows issue again?

Thanks!
    No, you can't export the genius playlists to wmp. Once again, itunes encrypts their songs/playlists so they're incompatible with windows software. You could always compile the playlists yourself.

Jan 23, 2010, 03:28 PM

It should export. I don't use genius, but the playlists should show up somewhere in the itunes folder when you go through the tranfering steps while in windows media player

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MP3 File Plays on Windows Media Player but NOT on Itunes [ 6 Answers ]

MP3 File Plays on Windows Media Player but NOT on Itunes. I have tried adding the Folder where it is contained as well as adding the specific file. I have even tried "Open With Itunes" and the file will not play; but it plays perfectly on Windows Media Player.

Disconnecting iTunes as primary media player [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get Windows Media back as my primary media player?ITunes appears to have overtaken the default player position andit is interfering with other computer functions.

Media player shows no picture in IE/FF [ 3 Answers ]

Helo Guys, I have a strange problem. I am trying to watch an online TV, Power Türk TV (click on TIKLA&IZLE in the upper right hand corner) and it gives sound but no image. I tried the site in both IE and Firefox but the result is the same. I have the latest versions of both browsers running...

Windows media player music [ 3 Answers ]

I'm wondering if I should download windows media player 10 to replace 9 but I've done this before and a lot of the files began to have ! Next to them which means they stopped working. Is media player 10 worth it and how do I sort this problem out. I have lots of other players but prefer this and...

View more questions Search