Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajalert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Can I file returns jointly-h1b & h1b(wife)
    Hi,

Can I file tax returns jointly (me on h1b Visa and Wife on h1b Visa).

My Wife got h1b Visa in Oct 2009.

Is it possible or we need to file separately.

Thanks
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 03:16 PM

When did you get your H1B?

If you were a resident for income tax purposes, you can elect to treat your spouse as a resident and file a joint return. See U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad - Nonresident Alien Spouse for details.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 01:21 AM

Yes, you can file joint return. If you are resident in 2009, then you can file any time. Else, you must wait to file only after you meet substantial presence test in 2010. Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me H1B, wife in india, marriage not registered, can I file married jointly for 2008? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am posting this in advance of a few events in my life that are yet to happen! (planning is never bad, right?) Auspicious dates, astro stuff, and requirements of our parents need that some important marriage ceremonies be performed this year in India in my absence (2008, before...

Can I file Tax jointly - H1B & F1 visa [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on H1B visa in Connecticut since 2005 and my wife is on F1 visa in Georgia (she has Graduate research assistanceship and her tax status is resident alien). My questions are, 1) Can we file tax jointly? 2) Do we have to file state tax separately? 3) What will be the best way to file tax...

I live in Texas (H1B) and wife in NY (F1 Student) - File taxes jointly? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before - but I was unable to find it in the forums. I am a foreign citizen on an H1B living in Texas. Since I have been here in the US long enough, I am a resident for tax purposes, and have filed as such for the past few years. My wife...

Married while on OPT and H1B.Should I file jointly with my spouse on H1B ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on working on OPT from April 2007 to Sep 2007 and then on H1B from Oct 2007 -Dec 2007. My spouse has been on H1B for last 7 years so he's considered as resident alien. We filed our taxes jointly in 2005 and 2006. Since I was on OPT my employer did not deduct Social security...

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

View more questions Search