Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helenoftroyv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Prepaid insurance is a asset account with a debit balance. When that months prepaid I
    Prepaid insurance is a asset account with a debit balance. When that months prepaid insurance is expired, the prepaid account is credited for 1 months rent and the insurance expense account is debited for that amount also. Why is the insurance expense debited or increased. Shouldn’t it be decreased?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 11:07 PM

How do you decrease something that has never been charged? An expense was never put into that account as of yet, so what are you subtracting from? When it expires, it's used up and becomes an expense -- it was recorded as an asset prior to that because the coverage for the insurance was still into the future. Once the time has passed and coverage been "used," then you have to recognized the expense of that usage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prepaid insurance, a debit or credit? [ 10 Answers ]

What is the normal balance of a prepaid insurance, debit or credit?

Prepaid insurance an asset? [ 8 Answers ]

According the GAAP (the 3 asset criteria), how can I justify that Prepaid insurance is an asset? (i.e. I know that costs are known and that it will provide future benefit for the company, but is this future benefit measurable)?

Wrote off prepaid rent and prepaid rent account [ 1 Answers ]

Wrote off $100.00 of prepaid rent as of November 30 to rent expense for December. Prepaid Rent $100.00 Does it meant, Rent Expense: $100.00 Prepaid Rent : $0.00

I need to know if prepaid insurance a debit or credit on a four colmn ledger [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if prepaid insurance is a debit or credit on a four column ledger

Prepaid insurance who to credit and debit [ 3 Answers ]

How much is expensed on a 18600 prepaid two year insurance? Thanks

View more questions Search