Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nancy87 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 09:34 AM
    Why is there no hall mark on my new gold bangle? The jeweller says it is 8 carat.
    I bought a gold bangle for £195 today from a jewellery shop. The salesman said it was 8 carat gold. However when I later examined it I couldn't find any hallmark or any markings at all and the recept just states it is 'gold jewellery £195'

Should the bangle be hall marked? Is it genuinely 8 carat gold?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 09:44 AM

Here's a site I found that may help explain why there's no hallmark on your jewellery.

The Caratage (Karatage) System For Gold Jewellery > Utilise Gold. Scientific, industrial and medical applications, products ,suppliers from the World Gold Council

If you read through you'll see that many countries do not consider 8 karat to be gold, therefore they will not hallmark it as such.

I hope this helps.

Jan 12, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Here's a site I found that may help explain why there's no hallmark on your jewelery.

The Caratage (Karatage) System For Gold Jewellery > Utilise Gold. Scientific, industrial and medical applications, products ,suppliers from the World Gold Council

If you read through you'll see that many countries do not consider 8 karat to be gold, therefore they will not hallmark it as such.

I hope this helps.
    I am in the UK and the jeweller definitely said it was gold and that it would not go out of shape because it was 8 carat rather than 22 carat.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nancy87 View Post
    I am in the UK and the jeweller definitely said it was gold and that it would not go out of shape because it was 8 carat rather than 22 carat.
    8 carat gold means that the gold content is 33.3% gold, so yes, it won't get bent out of shape as easily as purer gold. 22 carat is 91.6% gold.

This is a quote from the link I provided;

Many countries only allow certain caratages of gold jewellery to be sold. For example, in the United Kingdom, one can make and sell 9, 14 ,18 and 22 carat gold jewellery but not 12 carat gold as the latter is not a recognised caratage standard by law. In some countries, jewellery lower than 12 carats (50% gold or 500 fineness) cannot be described as gold.

Jan 14, 2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks for your help. I went back to the jeweller and he used a magnifying glass to show me a tiny 9 carate hallmark on the bangle and gave me a receipt stating it was 9 carat gold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gold bangle bracelet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gold bangle bracelet that is probably 80+ years old. It has a clasp that opens to allow placing over your hand. It has etchings of floral designs on outside of half of it. In the clasp there are the letters JFSS Pat. Does anyone know what that might mean? It doesn't say karat...

Mark on gold ring , is it really gold? [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a "gold" ring that was advertised as 10K gold but upon receipt I find that the mark is not exactly 10K. It has what looks to be a capital U with what looks to be an arrow passing horizontally through it from left to right, but the arrow tip is not visible, only the arrow "tail", It is...

View more questions Search