Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Kudos to New Jersey!
    New Jersey just became the 14th state to legalize medical Marijuana. Corzine is going to sign the bill during his last week in office. I think this is the first time I have ever said anything nice about New Jersey.

Medical marijuana bill sent to Corzine | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/12/2010
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Yay for the guidos!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 08:53 AM
    I wish it was legal when I was going through chemo... but no... instead now I suffer from bad teeth... ruined from the chemo and vomiting.

Kudos to NJ!
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 09:13 AM

J_9 My aunt just went through Chemo the medicine she takes I can't even describe how she looks but I am sure you know.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    J_9 My aunt just went through Chemo the medicine she takes I can't even describe how she looks but I am sure you know.
    It's not pretty... It's not fun. Although my teeth are a mess (luckily the back ones that no one can see)... I'm alive.

All my best to your aunt and your family during the trying times.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks J_9 we appreciate. I always considered my aunt a weak person (issues with alcohol and drugs) until now. I don't know if I could ever go through what she is going through.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 08:14 AM

Hello spit:

Last night, even Hannity thinks pot is headed for legalization.

So, if something is a crime and a lot of people have been punished, when it ISN'T a crime anymore, is there reparations? Apologies? Recognition of a wrong made right? Anything?

excon
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 08:16 AM
    I was watching that, and the news this morning. Can someone 'splain to me the difference between legalization and decriminalization?
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello spit:

Last night, even Hannity thinks pot is headed for legalization.

So, if something is a crime and a lot of people have been punished, when it ISN'T a crime anymore, is there reparations? Apologies? Recognition of a wrong made right? Anything?

excon
    Ex,
    I really don't think anyone who was arrested before will get any type of reparations, Apologies, or anything else. And it is a shame.
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Can someone 'splain to me the difference between legalization and decriminalization?
    Hello J:

Yes. It's a politicians way of covering his a$$ by recognizing the wrong he did, but refusing to admit it just yet.

excon
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 08:29 AM
    So basically it's still illegal but not punishable? If that's the case this happened to a politician in Alaska almost 16 years ago. He did not get punished because it would have cost too much to change the Alaskan constitution.
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 08:37 AM
    So basically it's still illegal but not punishable?
    Hello again, J:

Which is as stupid as making it illegal in the first place.

excon
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Hello again, J:

Which is as stupid as making it illegal in the first place.

excon
    Yeah... duh!! Umm, pass it this way... JK, but I am off work until Saturday night.

Seriously, on a side note. If we legalize pot, where do we stop? It is a God given gift, but in certain forms so are other drugs.

Years ago I could have one drink and be fine... but smoke one joint and have a detailed solution to the prison overcrowding problem, while dancing and singing loudly to VanHalen (sorry major memory there).

Do we legalize it and tax the bejesus out of it?

Is this a dilemma just as the health care bill is? No real solution?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2010, 08:57 AM
    Think about it.
    Legalise pot then the government can control and licence the supply, but think of the TAXES they could charge on it!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 09:01 AM

Curly I have been saying that for years. I just don't understand it at all.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
    J_9 I think I am in the minority that all drugs should be legal. If you want to smoke crack, snort coke, shoot heroin, and what ever they do with Meth then go ahead. People are going to do it anyway and it is pretty obvious there isn't any real way to stop them at all. So we might as well profit off it instead of Drug Cartels.
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Do we legalize it and tax the bejesus out of it?

Is this a dilemma just as the health care bill is? No real solution?
    Hello again, J:

Of course, there's a solution... If you were watching last night, you saw Heraldo waffling on the question of legalization.. He's a wimp! He muttered something about the libertarian viewpoint that prohibition is the problem - NOT what is prohibited...

You also saw that ditzzy Republican broad repeatedly saying that keeping it illegal WILL keep it out of the hands of her children. Heraldo DID ask her where she's been living, as though HER neighborhood is different than everybody else's...

So, the question is, does prohibition work. IF it does, then we shouldn't stop. But, I don't know how much more evidence one needs other than our own HISTORY, and our own lying eyes, to prove that it absolutely does NOT work...

When we prohibited alcohol, alcohol dealers shot each other regularly... Today, you don't hear about any drive by's done by beer truck trick drivers... Are drug warriors so blind that they cannot connect those two phenomena?

But, beyond our own lying eyes, can anyone, besides ditzzy broads on TV, look me in the eyes, and tell me that the drug war WORKS, and that pot is NOT available in their neighborhoods because of it??

The answer is an unequivocal NO!

With legalization, regulation, and treatment on demand, we'll save billions of $$$'s and millions of lives. Will legalization cause a spike in drug use? I don't think so. Do you know anybody who is just chomping at the bit for drugs to be legalized so they can buy some crack?? I don't.

Do I think there won't be ANY new users?? Of course there will. But, the truth of the matter is, drug addiction IS as bad as they say... Consequently, if we offered addicts treatment on demand, I'll bet there'll be at least many addicts STOP, as there are new addicts...

Are we going to eliminate drugs no matter what? No. A certain percentage of our population can't handle liquor, but we've learned not to punish everybody because of it. Therefore, there's going to be a certain segment of the population who is going to abuse drugs...

So what? Unless, of course, you believe the drug warrior BS, that snorting line of coke makes you want to rob a 7/Eleven.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 09:25 AM

It is funny Ex when I was younger Pot was so much easier to get then beer or liquor. Drug dealers don't have a minimum age requirement like the liquor stores do. But if pot was legal then it would be much harder for kids to get.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    J_9 I think I am in the minority that all drugs should be legal. If you want to smoke crack, snort coke, shoot heroin, and what ever they do with Meth then go ahead.
    I'm going to pose a situation to you SV... this is reality, but I cannot reveal the location.

You want to legalize ALL drugs, including meth...

What about that 3 month old baby who was given NyQuil so that it would sleep while Mommy and Daddy manufactured meth in the house. When the baby would not wake up, Mommy called 911 and they all picked up and left the house leaving the 3 month old baby in the house to die in temperatures in the teens?

Now Mommy and Daddy are on the run for child endangerment and murder.

How about the 4 year old who died 3 days after being pushed into a bathtub full of burning water after telling her Mommy (who should have been protecting her from harm) that the water was too hot. I was working in the ER the night this happened... I saw it with my own two eyes... this one is now public so I can discuss it. Her two year old sister was taken to the bathroom by a co-worker of mine because she had to "tee tee." This co-worker found bruises all over the back, buttocks and legs of this 2 year old in the shape of a hairbrush. Of course Mommy denied any wrong doing and Daddy was put in jail. A year later (last week), Mommy pled guilty to child abuse, neglect, and is being charged with the murder of her 4 year old. Her defense... drug induced psychosis... the drug... METH.

While I may agree with legalization of pot... I have seen, and still have nightmares, of the ramifications of methamphetamines that can be manufactured in the trunk of a car, or cause a home to be permanently inhabitable.

So, if you think meth should be legalized, I invite you to spend one night with me when I moonlight in the ER here in the meth highway of the country.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 09:42 AM
    Hello again, J:

Of course, there's a solution... If you were watching last night, you saw Heraldo waffling on the question of legalization.. He's a wimp!
    You mean Geraldo... LOL... you used kinder words than I would have.

You also saw that ditzzy Republican broad repeatedly saying that keeping it illegal WILL keep it out of the hands of her children. Heraldo DID ask her where she's been living, as though HER neighborhood is different than everybody else's...
    I'm a Republican... she's not... keeping pot illegal did not keep it out of my hands now did it? Yes, you are correct... it was easier than buying beer when I was a minor. All I had to do was make a phone call and I didn't have to show ID.

But, beyond our own lying eyes, can anyone, besides ditzzy broads on TV, look me in the eyes, and tell me that the drug war WORKS, and that pot is NOT available in their neighborhoods because of it???

The answer is an unequivocal NO!
    Funny, but I can go next door and buy pot if I so choose, but I now have a REAL profession that I have to answer to. Will I be impaired if I smoke a took today and go to work on Saturday? Hel1 no, but I bet if I get a finger stick because the baby moved at the opportune time I'd lose my job.

With legalization, regulation, and treatment on demand, we'll save billions of $$$'s and millions of lives.
    How do we pay for treatment on demand? Here comes the new health care bill.

Unless, of course, you believe the drug warrior BS, that snorting line of coke makes you wanna rob a 7/Eleven.

excon
    Do I believe that BS... damn, I've done a lot worse in my years and never even considered robbing a 7/11. You would have a fatal heart attach if you really knew my background.

BTW, whatever it was that I did... I am in recovery now for 16 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New York New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

Why was the question about the NY NJ rivalry pulled ?

Kudos to Senator Webb [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's known prison population. We have an incarceration rate in the United States, the world's greatest democracy, that is five times as high as the average incarceration rate of the rest of the world. There are only two...

Kudos to FOX, a news source looking out for us, we hope [ 9 Answers ]

"FOX Business Network has won a victory against the Treasury Department in its Freedom of Information Act request for details about the government's bailout plan." FOX Business Wins FOIA Lawsuit Against Treasury - FOXBusiness.com Says Kevin Magee (FOX News exec): "We're thrilled that this...

View more questions Search