Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
    Kennels vs. Houses
    Lucky098 said in an answer
    It's a proven fact that outdoor, kenneled dogs are not taken care of as well as indoor dogs.
    Rather than hijack a thread I wanted to start a new one.

Lucky, please show your proofs on this. My main objection is the blanket statement.

I know of many kennels that are furnished better than the owners' houses. In many cases, kenneled dogs receive more frequent vet exams than the owners see their doctor. I am talking about show dogs, so you may be correct about backyard pet owners. I would still like to examine your sources for these "proven" facts.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 05:46 PM

I just wrote a huge reply and my computer stuffed up and deleted it :(
    Sorry if what I say below doesn't make much sense I'm trying to remember what I wrote!!

I think it's 50/50 for outside dogs.
    50% are kept in good conditions, 50% are not looked after at all.

Most show dogs are kept in fantastic conditions.
    My mom tries to keep as many dogs inside as she can but there are 2 Poodles that don't get along well with their Great Dane so they have been banished outside.
    Mom feels awful about having to house them in kennels but here's the catch... her 'kennel' is actually half of a 2 car garage. They have installed a wall half way down to split the garage in 2 and then another wall in the dog run side to separate front from back.
    The back half contains 2 dog trolleys with big blankets and a couch, the front half has their water. Food etc.
    Coming off the 'kennel' is their side yard. It's pretty big and the dogs have free run of it.

Every day, twice a day they are let inside the house for an hour or so while the other dogs are locked in the backyard.
    She feels awful as I said but the dogs seems quite OK with the situation.

She did have another poodle but he tried to fight pretty much every other dog in the house.
    It was either put him in a kennel on his own or re-home him.
    They chose to rehome him as they didn't think it was fair cutting in on the other outside dogs time plus leaving him on his own.
    We have seen him quite a few times as he lives down the road and he seems very happy with his new family. It was the right decision in the end.

Another personal story (sorry if it's boring) is some friends of mine had a Husky.
    This dog was outside all the time, except for a few rare occasions when he was allowed in.
    They did walk him and play with him but only on the odd when they felt bad about leaving him outside (maybe once or twice a week)
    They threw food in his bowl (which was just outside the back door) and he was pretty much left alone.
    He was un-trained and out of control... they didn't seem to care (this is also the same people who fed cooked chicken bones because he "liked them")

That dog has since been re-homed to some other friends of ours.
    He is still a mostly outside dog because it is what he is used to, they plan on doing training with him so he is not as psychotic when he comes inside but it all takes time.
    He now gets walks every single day and play sessions outside.

That's both sides of the outside coin... one person I know who has outside dogs in great conditions and one person who left their dog out and neglected it.

My personal view: Wild animals are meant to be outside... dogs that are pets should be inside with their family... even show dogs.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:52 PM

Hi Cats.

I think it all depends on the owner, the kennel, the climate that person lives in, etc. etc. etc.

Here in Canada I wouldn't recommend outdoor living for any dog. In the summer it's very hot, in the winter it's too cold, unless you own a husky. ;)

So many dogs get taken to shelters, away from their owners, because they are forced to live outside in the elements.

Having said that, a well built, well maintained kennel, with room to roam, an owner that cares for the animals, I have no problem with that.

It's not for me, but if done right then I do believe that it's an appropriate option for others.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 06:05 PM

I have seen one too many dogs that have Been chained to the far corner of a yard with no shade or shelter. I don't live in the show world... I live in the rescue world. And dogs who end up as being outdoor pets are neglected. For the few owners who do take care of their dogs and make sure they are in good condition that's awesome. But too many people put a dog outside and basically forget about them.

I do have a friend who owns outdoor dogs... she takes pretty good are of them. Feeds decent food and sees a vet when needed. However.. . her dogs seem emotionless and are confined onto. He gravel of her backyard. She keeps the invisible fence around her grass and trees. She loves her dogs... but they get forgotten about a lot and are alone 50% of he time.

I just dot agree with outdoor dogs. No matter how nice. He kennels are e dog is still not part of the family.

As for the show dogs living in nicer kennels then most homes... I'm well aware of that... but even at that... those dogs are just working dogs not family pets.

I don't know why everyone on this site enjoys discrediting me... if you want more proof then I will be more than happy to post some forgotten about dogs that are deemed by animal control taken care of
    Pets Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 06:23 PM

Lucky, I don't think Cats meant to discredit you.

When you make a statement like this;

It's a proven fact that outdoor, kenneled dogs are not taken care of as well as indoor dogs.
    You better be able to back it up. You are stating this as fact, so asking you to provide the proof to back up your statement is not in any way discrediting you.

If you didn't want to be called on it, show the articles, the research done, then all you had to do was state your post as an opinion, not fact. You didn't do that though.

You also have to remember that there are over 600,000 people on this site. Some of the people will have outdoor dogs and you just said that most of them are not taking good care of their dogs. That's a slap in the face. I'm sure you'd react if someone stated as fact that you were a bad dog owner because of something you do that they don't agree with. Wouldn't you?
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 06:44 PM

Again, the blanket statement is a problem for me.

Perhaps it's a question of definitions. I don't consider "chained to a far corner of the yard without shade or shelter" to be "kenneled." I too have nothing but disdain for animals tied out and left. A doghouse in a fenced yard barely even fits my definition.

I'm not trying to call you out, Lucky. You give good advice. I was hoping you actually had some authoritative sources that I can take to my local Animal Control people regarding some problem children near me.

Btw, please proofread.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 10:25 AM

I guess I'm a little touchy because I seem to Get highlighted a lot...

Yes I agree that some people do take care of outdoor dogs... but those people are very far and between.

When I Get on my actual comp. Ill post some info on outdoor dogs...
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 11:36 AM

We've had both, all of our dogs now are indoor dogs, I have almost 2 acres of fenced yard that my dog has full run of.
    Of course she would rather be inside with me and my daughter, even when we are out side in the yard with her, she is patiently waiting at the door to be let in. When she does get let in, she sits in front of the window looking out. It makes me laugh every time.
    Of course this summer I will be doing some major land scaping, and then fence will temporarily be taken down, and hopfully replaced with in a month or so. Unfortuantly I will have to tie Lady during this time. (Unless anyone else has a better idea?)

Anyway, my mom bred German Sheppards, and she had a barn, insulated and heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. The barn was divided in half, the females on one side males on another. She even had the yard separated.

People used to make comments on how could she possibly be making any money doing this, she always replied, "i'm not in it for the money". There were old couches and chairs in there, blankets, and I swear the barn was kept warmer then the house.

She too tried to keep as many dogs inside, but at times it just wasn't feasible. It was quite the set up. All the dogs were well socialized with people.
    As young as I can remember, I can remember those dogs being with us. Camping trips, beach trips, being out side and walks. Anyway, that's my story.

We've had both, and all our dogs are and were happy as clams and have lived long fufilling lives.
    My mom doesn't breed anymore, and for the past 5 years she has been more intrested in the rescue side of things.

I think all of us have seen and heard the sad storys of the animals left to fend for them sleves in the elements.

There are as many bad pet owners who keep their dogs penned up inside. Or in a kennel inside for hours or days at a time.

My friend who swears she loves cats, has an unspayed female who urinates all over the place, and the poor cat gets punished every time she does it. But she refuses to take her to the vet to get spayed or even checked out.

Another friend of mine swears she is an all around pet lover, but works in a pet store, and actually thinks that they buy the animals from reputable breeders. She also has lizzards and frogs, which I personally think is cruel. But that's just me.
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
    All these anecdotes are wonderful. I admit I kind of picked on Lucky simply because his statement got me thinking that if I had some studies and veterinary findings, I could go to the next town council meeting with a proposal.

Lucky, please post anything you've got.

Anybody else? The thicker the folder the faster the politicians will buy it.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
    [quote=shazamataz;2171532]I just wrote a huge reply and my computer stuffed up and deleted it :(

The same thing just happened to me and I wrote a long thing. Took me 15 minutes, it was genius:D (maybe too long) so they deleted it.

Jest of the whole thing. Most of the outdoor dogs that I know are ignored.:(
    Pets Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 09:23 PM

JD, a little tip. If you have a long post to write and you want to avoid your computer crashing or something else happening, write it out on Wordperfect, or another program. Save it periodically. When you're done, copy, paste and post. :)

Not that I take my own advice, but it sounds logical, doesn't it? ;)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    JD, a little tip. If you have a long post to write and you want to avoid your computer crashing or something else happening, write it out on Wordperfect, or another program. Save it periodically. When you're done, copy, paste and post. :)

Not that I take my own advice, but it sounds logical, doesn't it? ;)
    I didn't know it was going to be long when I started:rolleyes::o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat carriers/kennels [ 3 Answers ]

Recently my brother moved out with his dog... My cat who had been scared to death of his dog had been living at my gramma's. But when my brother moved out, I started luring the cat back up to my house. Although she always used to be an outdoor cat, we now let her in the house, and she gets along...

My houses past [ 1 Answers ]

hey i was wondering how i could get information about my house's history like if there were any scary facts about it or something.:)

Blazing star kennels [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm thinking of adopting from a place called Blazing Star kennels and I was looking on the site and it sounded pretty good and I thought that was great but everyone I want to know if this is a good place to get a puppy?

View more questions Search