Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheesevi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Proper procedure in attaching manifold gauges on heat pumps during cold weather
    To get the proper pressure and temperature reading using manifold gauges on a heat pump during cold weather; knowing the reversing valve will reverse the both coil functions in the system, where do I attach the manifold gauges since there are 4 service ports on a heat pump during very cold weather?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:58 PM
    You do not attach the gauges to the unit. But a properly licensed EPA approved technician will. Now if you have that license/EPA approval then you already know the drill. Sorry but I am just not into people violating the law. All refrigerant must be recovered and that takes a recovery machine also. There is a lot more to this trade than meets the eye along with all the hours of training required. Plus the fact that attaching the gauges will tell you nothing unless you know exactly what to look for which you do not.

PS you can test the reversing valve by just running the heat pump. If it is reversed it will be producing heat and if not it will be producing cold air. Very simple test and fairly accurate.

Were are here to answer questions for people who need help but that just does not cover breaking the law.
    cheesevi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 06:19 PM
    Having an EPA 608 doesn't mean I remember everything. It's a question about procedures and I'm very much aware of the regs regarding refrigerants... been awhile that I've used gauges and looked into a unit during winter...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 08:40 PM
    Email copy of your 608 cert (must be class 2 or universal) to this dead email address (Times up). Once your certification is presented I will run it through the cert tester program. Once done (about 2 minutes) I will email you back at the email address you sent your cert with and be glad to give you any details you need. This is the only way to confirm validity of cert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump and cold weather [ 18 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions about a heat pump. I guess I need to do a little explaining first. I have an American Standard air exchanger heat pump with electrical resistance backup. The system has the original mechanical thermostat with separate contacts for the compressor and for the...

My heat pump runs for days at a time during very cold weather, is this normal? [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump runs constantly for days at a time during very cold weather. Is this normal? And 75-80% of the time it is blowing cool air after blowing hot air and warming up the rooms very nicely. But then the cool air kills all the warm air, need help here.

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know at what level should a rheem heat pump be caple of heating a house down to. It won't get past 30 and I have done countless things to it. Its 3 years old and has never done what I was told it should do. I was told to around 0 and its not even close to that. I put commercial grade...

Electric heat pump in cold weather [ 3 Answers ]

This may have been asked before, if so sorry, but I need answers anyway. We recently bought a house with an electric heat pump. On cold nights, it runs and runs without getting up to temp, set at 65, which doesn't seem very energy efficient, plus is very annoying. I have to get up and manually...

View more questions Search