Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadcad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 01:38 PM
    Install ceiling light without a place for ground wire
    I am trying to install new ceiling light in a 100 yr old house. There are two wires - one brown, one black (fabric covered). There is no place to attach the ground wire. The only thing visible is the two wires and the screw attachment for the light.
    What do I do with the ground wire?
    Xapafe Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jan 11, 2010, 03:19 PM

From my understanding there are 2 main points in this electrical system.
    1 Hot wire.
    1 Neutral Wire.

The ground can be attached to the neutral wire.
    I wouldn't try this until further research but I'm quite sure I'm right. Because the neutral wire DOES lead to the ground.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:31 PM

Xapafe, you are pretty new to AMHD so I will not consider giving a negative report on your answer but please stop saying "ground can be attached to the neutral wire" A neutral and a ground may come together at the buss bar inside the panel but not at a fixture. This is an old house which apparently has no grounding by cable or by groiunded box so the ground wire is not getting connected to anything. The poster can test between his black hot wire and the monuting screw and may find that the box is actually grounded, if so he attaches the ground wire to the box.
    Xapafe Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2010, 11:43 AM

I stand corrected :)
    Sorry for the bad advice...

I think I'm going to stick to computers for now on...
    That's my area of specialty :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a ceiling light without ground wire [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling light - what do I do with the ground wire on the new light since the old light did not have a ground wire and there is none in the ceiling?

How do I wire a switch with pilot light with 1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground wire? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced an outdoor outlet controlled by an interior switch with a Cooper gfci outlet and it tested fine. Then I replaced the existing switch with a Cooper switch with pilot light. The switch has one line coming into it with one white(hot), one black(neutral), and one ground. When I connect...

How to install a 2 wire light switch on an already installed ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first inquiry. My brother-in-law removed the faulty switch so I do not know how the wire was connected. He gave it to me to take to Lowe's for replacement. Have been waiting since Christmas season to have it repaired, looks like I will do it myself. I removed the light bulbs...

Diy install ground wire for 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved to the dominican republic... my 2nd floor apartment has your typical 3 prong outlets... but no ground!(?). I hear this is normal down here. The apartment is make of cement blocks. Usually they build the walls then break them to install the wiring before cementing it flat. ...

Install new ground wire for non-grounded receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on running grounds to my upstairs plugs that are currently K&T with the two hole groundless plugs. Question is, can I run several of the grounds into a centrally located j-box and then just run one larger ground back to the panel? I can't imagine running a separate wire for...

View more questions Search