Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgilbank Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 01:01 PM
    2001 silverado codes
    I have a 99 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3L V8 engine.
    What does cade P1301 mean? And how would I fix it? What part does it need?
    Thanks Jim
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 06:39 PM

Apparently, you are getting a misfire in cylinder 1. If you have not replaced the spark plugs in the last 50,000 miles or 3 years, I'd recommend that you do so. Only use the exact ACDelco plugs that came in the truck. Be sure to apply a light coating of dielectric grease to the porcelein portion of the plug and the top electrode. The dielectric grease helps prevent misfires. Using a flux brush, lightly coat the threads with anti-seize compound.

Afterwards, clear the old code with a code reader. If the code returns, try replacing the coil to cylinder 1.

Jan 12, 2010, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Apparently, you are getting a misfire in cylinder 1. If you have not replaced the spark plugs in the last 50,000 miles or 3 years, I'd recommend that you do so. Only use the exact ACDelco plugs that came in the truck. Be sure to apply a light coating of dielectric grease to the porcelein portion of the plug and the top electrode. Using a flux brush, lightly coat the threads with anti-seize compound.

Afterwards, clear the old code with a code reader. If the code returns, try replacing the coil to cylinder 1.
    Thanks - This makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of miles on it now and it just not running like it use to and it been very gradual.
    What your opinion of these new E3 - Diamond Fire Spark plugs compared to the AC Delco? As good or stay away from? (3:16 forever - what a great ministry PTL) Thank you, Jim
    Thanks Jim
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 08:10 AM

Thank you!

Only use the same ACDelco spark plugs that came in the truck. Cross-reference spark plugs, especially those with differing spark plug gaps, often cause misfires and codes to be thrown.

Jan 12, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Apparently, you are getting a misfire in cylinder 1. If you have not replaced the spark plugs in the last 50,000 miles or 3 years, I'd recommend that you do so. Only use the exact ACDelco plugs that came in the truck. Be sure to apply a light coating of dielectric grease to the porcelein portion of the plug and the top electrode. Using a flux brush, lightly coat the threads with anti-seize compound.

Thanks again, regarding the AC delco plugs only - Will do!
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 08:21 AM

Let us know if the new plugs solve the problem.

New plugs should make a big difference. Also, I'd recommend using SAE 5W-30 full-synthetic engine oil and changing the transmission fluid and filter with Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. I've helped a lot of ranchers in Texas make the switch on their trucks and they are grateful. If you take care of the engine and transmission, everything else that can go wrong is relatively minor.

This link may help you with the transmission:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1873132

Jan 26, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Hello Texas Grease Monkey
    Okay, I have put new plugs in and wires (cause I broke one changing the plugs) but in colder weather it turns over well on the first try of the command start but won't keep running until the 2nd try. It started first time every time last winter. Could this be the Mass Air Flow Sensor?
    Would cleaning help?
    Thanks for your help, Jim
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 10:53 AM

Cleaning the MAF Sensor with MAF Sensor Cleaner may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1377134

It might also help to clean the Idle Air Control Valve, throttle plate, and throttle body. Afterwards, clean the air box and replace the air filter. Be sure to clear the old code with a code reader. Add a bottle of Chevron Techron or Shell Regane to the gas tank.

If the problem persists, consider replacing the Engine Coolant Temperatue (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot. They become corroded, due to not changing the coolant frequently enough.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 10:58 AM

Did the new ACDelco spark plugs solve the misfire problem?

Jan 26, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Did the new ACDelco spark plugs solve the misfire problem?
    Yes, when the engine is warm, you can definitely tell that it starts stronger and faster and it has a faster response on the gas peddle.
    I like your idea about the ECT sensor.

Now could this be related, I have one other problem. My engine light is on and my analyser tells me it's the code 420 catylis emmissions so I've replaced both O2 sensors on the drivers side but still the engine light comes on after say 5 to 10 miles? Just thought you should know that as well - and thanks so much for your great help with this.
    You are blessing my friend.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 11:28 AM

Once it warms up and comes out of "open loop" mode, the CEL comes on. It sounds like the catalytic converter is bad, which may be causing the "down stream" oxygen sensor to throw a code.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 12:10 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the sole problem is the catalytic converter. It may be negatively affecting injector pulse width, when the engine is starting. Open loop control is not precise enough, since the converter is bad.

Jan 26, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Once it warms up and comes out of "open loop" mode, the CEL comes on. It sounds like the catalytic converter is bad, which may be causing the "down stream" oxygen sensor to throw a code.
    Now I did get a muffler shop to weld in 2 new catalytic converters a little over a year ago? So I would think they should be working fine?
    I will try the ECT and Clean the MAF senser and watch some more.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 12:12 PM

Keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need codes for 2001 honda crv [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can awnser this asap my husband changed the battery in my 2001 honda crv now the radio/cd player/casset player won't work really don't want to take it to dealer will charge up yang. They said it was on back of glovebox its now and dread taking radio out to find its not there either ...

2001 cheverolet Silverado won't start [ 3 Answers ]

At first it wouldn't turn over. Now I have changed the stater and the crank sensor, it will turn over but not start. I know there is fuel running throug. What else can it be...

2001 Cevrolet Silverado 8.1 Litre Engine [ 2 Answers ]

The engine will start and run for awhile and then die. Then when you let it sit for some time, it will start again. Has this happened to anyone before with this engine? What was your solution. We have already replace the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay and that did not solve the problem.

Troubleshooting Codes 2001 Lexus RX300 [ 1 Answers ]

Airbag warning light keeps blinking. Code B 0138 Short Circuit in Seatbelt Pretensioner for Drivers Side. Cleared code and drove 5 minutes and started blinking again. I need to replace the Drivers Side Pretensioner. Question is this something I can do myself? I do not want to unexpectedly...

OBD II code P0452 on a chevy 2001 silverado [ 1 Answers ]

Do any one know how to clear this code, or a solution?

View more questions Search