Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keela Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
    What do I need to do to install the ground wire for my house on my copper water line?
    Please help! I am a 27yr old new home owner of 2 years living in Alabama and my water pipes froze the other day, so after the whole hair dryer thaw out time, thinking I'd done enough research, I went and bought foam pipe insulation and installed it. When I was down there I was covering the part where they come out of the ground (I was told that is where they are most likely to freeze) and I accidentally removed- what I've now learned (from explaining what it looked like to my father)--to be my ground wire grounding my entire house. I have 2 main water lines coming out of the ground in my full unfinished basement for 2 separate units in the house. There were 2 or 4 bracket things on the pipes coming out of the ground with two old metal bars running parallel to each other connecting the 2 pipes (each about 1 foot long and a smaller than the thickness of a pencil). They were old and corroded so they seemed pointless to me. My house was built in 1910 and has had some very random, shoddy remodeling done. (It is a terrible money pit that I have learned more than I EVER wanted to know about houses... ) So I figured it was old nonused extra wire. It was not connected to my breaker box or anything-is it supposed to be? My father told me to just put it back how it was, but with all that has gone wrong with this place I am skeptical and want to be sure it really is keeping my old crappy house grounded.. I've been trying to find info all over the internet and it keeps leading me back to this website so I joined and really need help on this issue.Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:36 PM

I am with dad, put it back the way it was but then track the ground back to the panel. If it never reaches the panel splice a new wire same gauge to the end, when you get tat wire to the panel come back to us for the last detail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Best way to install water line over 2,000 ft from meter to house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house that the meter is over 2,000 feet away. What would be the safest, most durable, and economical pipe to use?

Install copper water line under concrete driveway [ 3 Answers ]

How do you install 3/4" copper waterline under an existing concrete driveway?

Can a bare copper ground wire be exposed in wall? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home with an outdoor shed. I've started to remodel the shed and I noticed that the sub-panel was wired incorrectly. Neutral and ground were attached to the same bus, and there was no ground rod. I've purchased a new bus bar for ground and I am in the process of installing my...

UF wire and copper propane line in same conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe and allowed to run 10/3 UF electric cable and 1/2" copper tubing for propane in the same 2" PVC conduit 18" underground from a house to a garage?

View more questions Search