Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 06:43 AM
    Dems develop thick skin toward racists
    Isn't it great we've reached that post-racial era Obama ushered in?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) apologized today for referring to President Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect" in private conversations during the 2008 presidential campaign.

"I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words," said Reid in a statement. "I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African Americans for my improper comments."

President Obama said in a statement that he and Reid had spoken about the matter on Saturday afternoon. "I accepted Harry's apology without question because I've known him for years, I've seen the passionate leadership he's shown on issues of social justice and I know what's in his heart," said Obama. "As far as I am concerned, the book is closed."
    That was easy wasn't it?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 09:08 AM
    I wonder if Reid opposed Clarence Thomas and Janice Rogers Brown because they were too dark skinned ?

You mean it didn't require a beer summit to resolve their differences ?

Has the President commented on the revelations about ;the Clintoon's poor choice of words ,especially Bill calling Obama a servant who would've been serving him coffee ? Or that Evita wanted to use allegations about the President's past drug use in the campaign. Or that Obama put a muzzle on Biden after Biden's comments about his thoughts that Obama was going to be tested ?

Yes ;thick skinned indeed. It has been pointed out how quick the President called for Trent Lott's resignation while he was a Senator. He said this then "The Republican Party itself has to drive out Trent Lott. If they have to stand for something, they have to stand up and say this is not the person we want representing our party."

When the President heard Don Imus' comments about the Rutgers Girls Basketball team he said
    "I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus....but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 10:24 AM

Hello tom:

Here's the problem you guys got. You can't distinguish a conversation ABOUT race, from one that's racist.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 05:27 PM

The problem ex is you can't recognize a double standard. What Rush said about McNabb was no worse than Dingy Harry's stupid remark yet Rush is STILL excoriated for it. In fact, Reid's was worse. But by the way, I think Reid should stick around instead of resigning as some are calling for. :D
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 06:03 PM

Yes, indeed there is no such thing as a post-racial era in the USA. Its indeed alive and well.

We all still have a long way to come in this respect..

P.S. Reid's comments are not even in the same league as Imus.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jan 11, 2010, 06:07 PM

There is a double standard about racist comments. A conservative is condemned much more strongly than a liberal who makes the same comments. Robert Byrd and Joe Biden's comments were barely noticed by the media, yet Trent Lott was forced to resign as majority leader.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    There is a double standard about racist comments. A conservative is condemned much more strongly than a liberal who makes the same comments. Robert Byrd and Joe Biden's comments were barely noticed by the media, yet Trent Lott was forced to resign as majority leader.

So are you saying that the conservatives should be allowed to make racist comments cause the other guys do, or are you saying that if the other guys stop saying racist things then the conservatives will too?

Either way doesn't sound too good to me..
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello tom:

Here's the problem you guys got. You can't distinguish a conversation ABOUT race, from one that's racist.

excon
    Which was Limbaugh's comment about McNabb?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
    Hello tom:

Excon
    Sure I can .clearly it is straightforward .If a nonconservative makes a comment about race it is a conversation... a dialogue.
    But if a conservative makes those same remarks or ones similar then it is a racist comment.

If a nonconservative makes the comment,even though he feels the need to apologize or call his comment a poor choice of words , there are no consequences... apology accepted. But ,when a conservative says them it doesn't matter how contrite that person is ;he wears the comments like a scarlet letter for the rest of his days ,and most likely that person pays with the loss of a job or a career destroyed .
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Which was Limbaugh's comment about McNabb?
    "Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

That was one of those comments "about race" as opposed to a racist comment. I'd say Reid's remark on Obama having "no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one" falls into the category of racist.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
    Talk about a storm in a tea cup and this is certainly it. The problem here is that some people know Obama has a good tan and some don't. You guys are so hung up about race. Now you are worried about some private comment in the election campaign. That's history. You should have to live in a multi-cultural society where you have all sorts of people wandering your streets. I get what he means about the dialect though, I have great difficulty understanding African speech and Obama wouldn't have been elected if he spoke like that. Not because he is "black" but because if you can't get your message across you are dead as a politician. The "what did he say" factor is real. But it's sad that when a politician speaks the truth he has to retract it because of the "what did he say" factor
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 03:00 PM

Hey Clete,

I'm pretty sure America has a pretty multi-cultural society wondering around. Its just that some of them obviously don't want it that way.

We have the same idiots down here too.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell View Post
    I'm pretty sure America has a pretty multi-cultural society wondering around. Its just that some of them obviously dont want it that way.
    Skell, most of us don't give a rat's a$$ about race but it keeps getting thrown in our face. The left in this country doesn't want to overcome racism, they need to keep minorities under their grip. They need victims to survive, they need people believing they're on their side and that only they can help them overcome.

It's conservatives who want to truly empower minorities by getting them out of the liberal stranglehold that keeps them as oppressed, dependent victims... while excusing the obvious racism among their own as this example shows.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    It's conservatives who want to truly empower minorities by getting them out of the liberal stranglehold that keeps them as oppressed, dependent victims....
    Hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 05:31 PM
    Hey Clete,

I'm pretty sure America has a pretty multi-cultural society wondering around. Its just that some of them obviously dont want it that way.

We have the same idiots down here too.
    Skell may be we have the same type of idiot and maybe we don't. The Americans have a multi-racial society, that's not the same as multi-cultural. Do you think you would get this sort of furore if say Gillard made the same comment about Robson or Ridgeway two years ago or someone called Rudd whitey or told him not to speak chinese? The fact is they have serious racial problems which they have tried to submerge with political correctness and every now and then someone is brave enough to speak their mind. Instead of moving on, they get all cut up about it and want to lop someone's head off.

Now here we know we have some inter-racial problems and we have not tried to hide it under a venere of politeness. We have come right out and said there is an aboriginal problem of poverty, disadvantage, addiction, education and whether we like it or not some people are just not going to be treated equal until it is solved. Do you think the intervention would be possible in the US even though they are dealing with similar disadvantage in some places?
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Skell, most of us don't give a rat's a$$ about race but it keeps getting thrown in our face. The left in this country doesn't want to overcome racism, they need to keep minorities under their grip. They need victims to survive, they need people believing they're on their side and that only they can help them overcome.

It's conservatives who want to truly empower minorities by getting them out of the liberal stranglehold that keeps them as oppressed, dependent victims....while excusing the obvious racism among their own as this example shows.
    I keep hearing that from you Steve but every time there is a race row on you are the first to plaster all over the site here. You seem to be throwing it on our face as much as anyone.

Instead on concentrating on the problem, you concentrate on hypocrisies. Its politics for goodness sake. Have you ever seen one who isn't a hypocrite.

After a few years here now it appears obvious to me that SOME people here, are uncomfortable about race, despite there denials.

P.S. That does not mean you.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 05:27 AM
    I keep hearing that from you Steve but every time there is a race row on you are the first to plaster all over the site here. You seem to be throwing it on our face as much as anyone.

Instead on concentrating on the problem, you concentrate on hypocrisies. Its politics for goodness sake. Have you ever seen one who isn't a hypocrite.

After a few years here now it appears obvious to me that SOME people here, are uncomfortable about race, despite there denials.

P.S. That does not mean you.
    What you say is all true. But it gets even better. Speech's conservative Doppelgänger here at AMHD shows that you are correct. In a thread about us having a good laugh at Palin joining Fox news tomder says it sounds like misogyny to him. I kid you not: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/2173345-post18.html
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!! !
    Check my history
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 07:27 AM
    Skell, I stand on my record.

Again, I stand on my record and it ISN'T just politics, people's lives are in the balance. Can someone tell me what it is the Democrats have done for blacks? How is education, has throwing more and more at it money done anything to solve the education problems in the black community? How exactly has lowering the bar in education and employment and growing the welfare rolls helped the black community? And what benefit is it to excuse racism in the very political block that poses as the great salvation of blacks? Anyone?

I'm not uncomfortable about race, I am uncomfortable about racism and I'm weary of liberals, including some in the black community such as Jesse Jackson, displaying racism while calling me a racist. If they won't clean up their own act they have no room to complain. And, until they stop throwing charges of racism around lightly and playing the victim we'll never become a post-racial society.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    What you say is all true. But it gets even better. Speech's conservative Doppelgänger here at AMHD shows that you are correct. In a thread about us having a good laugh at Palin joining Fox news tomder says it sounds like misogyny to him. I kid you not: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/2173345-post18.html
    Still obsessed with FNC are you? Good for you for making fun of a woman on a thread about Democrat hypocrisy on racism, by the way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Techniques to develop passion [ 1 Answers ]

I want to make my sub-ordinates passionate to their brnds, what techniques may help for this ? I am in sales profession and you know in selling passion play vital role. Confident for response from experts. Thanks

Is Harry Reid a racists ? [ 5 Answers ]

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich announced his intention to appoint former state attorney general Roland Burris to Barack Obama's vacant seat in the U.S. Senate. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has in the past announced his intention to refuse to seat any appointee that Blago submits.He has...

Will he develop feelings for her? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend recently met a girl who he thinks would be a really good friend... she admitted to me that she has a thing for him but he's not going after her... im scared he will develop feelings for her because she is so down to earth and a great manipulator... but he refuses to stop being friends...

View more questions Search