Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urbisoler Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2003, 04:30 PM
    Baseball stats
    1. Can bases on balls disrupt a consecutive game hitting streak?

2. What was the record for bases on balls in a season prior to 1960?
    rose24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2003, 01:02 PM
    baseball stats
    Hi there Urbisoler,
    As to your first question, a player's hitting streak can be interrupted if he participates in a game in any form,
    And fails to get a hit, even if he does not get any at bats
    Which would be the case if he received a base on balls.
    2. The major league baseball record for walks in aseason prior to 1960, was Babe Ruth for the NY Yankees in 1923 with 170 Bases on balls.
    Hope I helped.
    Mark
    urbisoler Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2003, 03:08 PM
    baseball stats
    Hi Mark

Thanks for your input. It figures that Ruth would have gotten a ton of walks.

But I'm really curious about hitting streaks. Based on what you tell me, there should be no new consecutive game hitting record. What pitcher would want to be responsible for a new record? I, personally, would walk the man every time up. In fact, I don't know why some pitcher didn't walk Dimaggio to keep him from breaking the record.

However, it seems to me that there were some modifications to that possibility and I was hoping someone would know when or if the rule was changed.

Thanks a bunch!

Urbisoler
    rose24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2003, 10:19 AM
    baseball stats
    Well, I don't know about you, but most people including me have a competitive spirit, and if the hitter is really good enough to get a hit yet again then make him beat me. In other words his accomplishment, is not necessarily my defeat.
    justiceseeker2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2004, 07:05 PM
    HItting streak
    Actually, a player gets credit for batting in a game only if he has an official at-bat. At-bats consists of getting a hit or making an out. For instance, a hit to left field is an at-bat. A strikeout is an at-bat. A pop-fly to the shortshop is an at-bat. There are instances when a player may be pitched to by the pitcher but not recorded as an official at bat. These consists of:

(1) A walk (intentional or unintentional)
    (2) A sacrifice
    (3) HIt by a pitch

Therefore, it is possible to play in a game and be pitched to by the pitcher and not have an at-bat recorded. If a player is pitched to 4 times and is walked 4 times, he is not credited with an at bat. If that were to occur, and the player came into the game with a 10 game hitting streak, he would leave the game with his 10 game hitting streak intact.

Lonnie
    CompletelyBroken Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2004, 01:38 AM
    Hitting Streak
    Hello,
    A consecutive game hitting streak is considered to be intact as long as a player gets at least one hit in consecutive games. The streak is NOT interrupted if the player does not receive any official at bats, with an exception. If the player receives either: 1) Base on balls (walk), HBP (Hit by pitch), sacrifice bunt, or defensive interference. HOWEVER, a sacrifice fly DOES break the hitting streak, even though it is not counted as an AB (at bat).
    Mark
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2005, 01:33 PM
    Knowledgeable Group
    This forum has some very knowledgeable participants. I will enjoy reading and participating here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stats question [ 1 Answers ]

I'm really not understanding this question either. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Replacement times for new Ford Taurus GL automobiles are normally distributed with a mean of 7.1 years and a standard deviation of 1.4 years. Find the probability that seven randomly selected Taurus...

Stats [ 2 Answers ]

I do stats for our softball team, here's my ? Bases are loaded and the pitcher walks the batter, does the batter get credit for a RBI?

Site Stats [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Looking for a place that offers free (don't have to pay money) site stats. It NEEDS to be able to tell which page was requested. For example, I need it to be able to tell the difference between "ikonboard.cgi" and "ikonboard.cgi?refer=dj_bri_t" AND be able to tell me how many times they got...

View more questions Search