Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LPINEDA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 04:09 AM
    I Am Unemployed And Have A Frozen Account
    I Am Currently Unemployed And My Account Has Been Frozen. In That Case What Should Be My Course Of Action Or Should I Leave It Alone Since I Do Not Have Any Money To Hire A Lawyer To Go To Bankruptcy.
    shelly123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LPINEDA
    I Am Currently Unemployed And My Account Has Been Frozen. In That Case What Should Be My Course Of Action Or Should I Leave It Alone Since I Do Not Have Any Money To Hire A Lawyer To Go To Bankrupcy.
    Hi,
    If you live in the UK, you do not need to hire a lawyer to declare Bankruptcy.
    All you need is the money for making the application, about £450.
    If you are currently receiving benefits, that amount may reduce.

You need to go to your local county court, make an application to go bankrupt and the Official Receiver will do the rest.

You can apply for a new bank account with a bank you do not owe any money to, but you will not be allowed a current account.
    Most banks have very basic cash card accounts that you are entitled to open.
    These accounts do not offer any credit facilities such as overdraft or debit/credit cards, so they cannot refuse you even if you are going bankrupt.

My suggestion would be to open a new account before you go bankrupt.

A website that would help is www.cccs.co.uk
    Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Yes where you live will make a difference, but even in the US you can declare bankruptcy without an attorney.

But you first thing is to get a job, any job and start getting income in.
    Delivery pizza, go down to day labor places, go door to door asking to rake leaves. Then you will have money for baisic needs.

If you have any direct deposit, stop it, and do not put any more money in that account.

Someone you owe money to has sued you, and you did not respond to appear in court on the issue. So they won and have gotten a judgement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LPINEDA
    I Am Currently Unemployed And My Account Has Been Frozen. In That Case What Should Be My Course Of Action Or Should I Leave It Alone Since I Do Not Have Any Money To Hire A Lawyer To Go To Bankrupcy.
    This is the Result of a course of action. For someone to freeze your account means thaey took you to court and won a judgement ordering you to pay the money. Since you didn't pay, that judgement gave them the right to attach certain assets that you might have.

Since this was the result, the time to take action has effectively past. You should have fought the action when you were taken to court. Better yet, you should have paid the bill when it was due.

But I recognize that neither may have been possible for you. So your choices now are to either appeal the judgement, pay, or try top make yourself judgement proof.

I would also pay attention to Chuck's advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployed [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Im having a really hard time finding a job, I'm sending out my resume, I have had a few interviews, but notheing. I keep doing my resume over and over. Im giving up, I feel ill never get a decent job. Thanks, Allison

Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen because of an outstanding credit card balance. I live paycheck to paycheck, I called the bank and they just said an order was put through and that there was nothing they could do. I called the number the bank gave me for the company that got the judgement. I...

Frozen bank account [ 1 Answers ]

A judgement has my bank account frozen. Apparently the credit card company sued me after I moved and sent notices to my old address for 4 years. The debt collectors/bottom feeders told me the credit card company sent me a settlement offer in October 2006 to my old address. I never received any...

Checking account frozen [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My mother had her bank account frozen due to her credit card situation. Where can she cash her Social Security checks, Thanks

Bank Account frozen on Unemployment [ 6 Answers ]

Information needed.. My estranged husband just found out that his bank account has been frozen due to a judgement awarded to Cohen and Slamowitz, that he didn't even realize was happening.. The only funds in there at the moment are unemployment benefits.. I already know that in NYS they...

View more questions Search