Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 05:56 AM
    Idle process
    My computer takes upwards of 2 minutes to completely boot up. When I go into Task Manager processes, the only process that is running is the idle process. How do I change this back to normal? Thanks for the help.
    Xapafe Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2010, 12:54 PM

Hmm.. First of all

Open task manager and click new process and type
    Explorer.exe

Once your desktop and everything loads open start menu
    Click run
    Type in msconfig and hit enter

In the general tab click Normal Startup - Load all device drivers and services

Try that and come back to me :)

Jan 13, 2010, 02:48 PM

OK. Thanks

Jan 13, 2010, 03:22 PM

I tried what you said, step by step, and the idle process is still running. I have a secondary problem that you can maybe help me with! I run Windows Firewall and every time I turn on my computer, I get an error message that says my computer might be at risk because there is no firewall. While this is going on, the desktop does not come up. After several minutes, the firewall boots up and then the desktop comes up. I don't know if the 2 problems are related or not! Can you help me? Thank you.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 12:31 AM

It sounds like a similar problem I have on my computer... I also have the same thing plus I have no administrator rights any more. I usually bypass it, due to laziness to fix it... but I was going to try ComboFix on it.

Jan 14, 2010, 01:50 PM

The Idle process will ALWAYS be there :)
    It is a necessary process.

So as long as everything else comes up you are fine.

The only thing I can guess about the connection between the firewall and the desktop loading up is that the firewall may be slowing it down as it loads also, but I'm going to look more into that for you just in case!

But to ask another question, Does everything come up now? Does you desktop and everything load?

Infojunkie for you're problem, what operating system are you running? After you give me that information I'll begin trying to help you as well!

Jan 14, 2010, 02:48 PM

Sacramento do you have an Anti-Virus program?
    Besides Windows firewall?

:D

Jan 14, 2010, 03:07 PM
    Avg free

Jan 15, 2010, 03:34 PM

Try to turn off Windows Firewall (Not long though.. Kind of important lol), reboot then see if that helps.
    And try to reinstall AVG also :)

Jan 15, 2010, 03:43 PM
    OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 HD can't keep idle [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't started my 02 HD low rider in 4 months, yesterday I went to start it and it starts rough and will not stay idle unless the choke is pulled. Also when I rev it, it starts poping ? Thanks Joe

Dell laptop idle process takes up to 99% of computer [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My now over 1 yr old laptop from dell, inspiron with windows home edition. It seems as I go, it's getting slower, and slower, to the point, it's quite upsetting. I keep noticing when I go to check the processing that the idle speed is very high, especially lately, when it seems to freeze,...

Won't Idle. [ 1 Answers ]

My 11-12 Year old Craftsman 14hp rider will not idle properly. If I throttle all the way down, it will die. It runs fine while mowing. Any ideas?

88 Chevy has fluctuating idle and extremely low idle turning either direction. [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 88 Chevy pickup. It originally started as a low idle when turning sharp either directing (and sometimes dieing) and evolved into the idle fluctuating up and down when you are straight. I don't notice this when driving, only when idling or turning. I took it to a Chevy dealer, and they...

View more questions Search