Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcelkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 06:34 PM
    Any reason sub floor would be level with oak floors?
    My husband and I bought a 1942 house recently. We're considering replacing the linoleum flooring in the bathroom. When we take the transition strip off we see the linoleum sitting on a thick sheet of particle board. Underneath the particle board is a fir floor. We thought the fir floor was the sub-floor, but now we're not sure for a couple of reasons. The first is that the fir is smooth and level with the oak flooring in the rest of the house. Second, when we look up from the basement, the sub-floor runs diagonally. Is this fir actually a floor that could be refinished? Not sure why it would be level with the oak, if that's not the case. We have the same thing going on in the kitchen, as well. Thanks for any insight!
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Jan 9, 2010, 11:52 PM

This was common in that era house. In the areas the builder judged most likely to be covered with linoleum they used a less expensive tongue & groove flooring. My 1922 vintage house is done in similar fashion.
    Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oak flooring on new concrete floor [ 4 Answers ]

How do I lay down new oak flooring on a new concrete floor ?

Installing toilet over new hardwood floors - flange is now below floor level [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a bathroom and replaced carpet floors with hardwood. This now puts the toilet flange below the floor level. Is there a thicker or additional flange to bring the connection (with the toilet) level up 1/2 to 3/4 inches?

How do I level my floors? [ 1 Answers ]

My 1946 built home has a 2" drop near the west, north and south walls. Away from the walls it appears level. The soil in the area is soft and all concrete driveways in the area are cracked and the outside stucco of the house is cracked near the ground level. The pilings, flooring and support under...

Can a solid oak floor be float installed on top of concrete? [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings, I have 20 square meters of 3/4 inch solid French oak flooring in 5 or 6 inch width. I have trolled the web pages looking for advice as to whether this material can be installed in the floating manner on top of a concrete sub floor. The opinions vary widely. Can this be done?

View more questions Search