Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    perryjd Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 05:35 PM
    How to cure compressor noise
    Am getting compressor noise out of my cold air return which is very annoying when watching TV or trying to sleep. The cold air return is plenty big enough ( 14 inches ) What is the cause/cure?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Would help to no more, type of equipment,, brand, model #

Jan 10, 2010, 07:56 AM

It is a 3 ton package unit (electric) brand is TempStar.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 08:00 AM
    Insulate the inside of the duct work with the proper insulation. See a HVAC supply house for the materials and you will have to disassemble the duct to install the insulation. There is NO miracle cure.

Jan 10, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Insulate the inside of the duct work with the proper insulation. See a HVAC supply house for the materials and you will have to disassemble the duct to install the insulation. There is NO miracle cure.
    I think you are right on, I discussed this very same thing with a friend of mine in church this morning.

Jan 10, 2010, 04:55 PM
    There is really no other cure unless you want to try and invest in a item called a compressor blanket. They are made for almost any unit but you have to make sure to get the correct size.

This is just an example but if it works it will save you a lot of labor tearing the duct work out to insulate the inside part. I have used these successfully on many units. I have a few units you can only hear the fan whisper outside. No that is quiet.

Note this may not fit your compressor it is just an example of what they might look like.

BRINMAR SBRHD COMPRESSOR BLANKET/NOISE REDUCER 155623 - eBay (item 220498046224 end time Jan-18-10 09:05:17 PST)

Jan 10, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    There is really no other cure unless you want to try and invest in a item called a compressor blanket. They are made for almost any unit but you have to make sure to get the correct size.

This is just an example but if it works it will save you a lot of labor tearing the duct work out to insulate the inside part. I have used these successfully on many units. I have a few units you can only hear the fan whisper outside. No that is quiet.

Note this may not fit your compressor it is just an example of what they might look like.

BRINMAR SBRHD COMPRESSOR BLANKET/NOISE REDUCER 155623 - eBay (item 220498046224 end time Jan-18-10 09:05:17 PST)
    I did install a compressor blanket just yesterday with a heater as well, it did cut the noise in half maybe, but I like your idea of insulating the sheet metal which the installer did not do, and am not sure if it has a baffle in it or not, but I will check while insulating the sheet metal. Thanks very much for your time and professionalism. We need more people like you. Jim (previously from Washington CH, Ohio)

Jan 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Thank you for the kind words. Make sure you use enough glue on that insulation install. Also get the correct stuff that is approved for duct work. If I were doing it I would also use a pin setter with a slide over snug fit washer but you need a spot welder to use those. That is the true way to do it and what you might consider doing is removing the sheet metal and taking it to a sheet metal shop in your area. They will do it correctly and save you time and possibly money. With the spot weld pins and glue it will never come loose and flap around inside the duct restricting the air flow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox XC 14 Compressor Noise [ 1 Answers ]

I had two new XC 14 Lennox Condenser Units installed in my home with one unit having the Humiditrol. I have noticed a shut down noise from both compressors during every shut down. The installer stated that the shut down noise is normal according to Lennox and this is the number 1 complaint. The...

Noise from compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Had a YORK 14 SEER system installed 2 months and from day one the compressor makes a noise like someone hitting a empty 55 gallon drum when unit shuts off and comes through ducts. The installer says it is normal? :confused: Because of back pressure. My 9 year old 11 SEER Rheem was quite as a...

A/c compressor noise [ 5 Answers ]

My goodman 5 ton heatpump / a/c compressor when reaches desired temp makes a heavy (loud) buzzing until I lower stat To demand more cooling or turn it off. Once it is off for 30 secs I can turn on it is fine. The noise is intermittent it doesn't do it every cycle.!

Compressor noise [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know why my compressor is making a lot of noise after I installed a new hunter touchscreen thermostat? Please help!

Central air compressor noise [ 3 Answers ]

When my central air compressor kicks on it makes a loud vibrating noise that can be heard and felt in my second floor bedroom.After it kicks in it works and sounds fine .What could be causeing this loud vibrating sound

View more questions Search