Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lumberjac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Aluminum threshold cap
    Does anyone know of an aluminum threshold that would fit over an existing wooden one? This is an entry door for a house that is about 45 years old. The old frame is bricked in and would disturb the mortar if an attempt to remove and replace would occur. Im thinking od a threshold that would "cap" the old one with a themal break built into it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 04:19 PM

Never seen one like you are hoping for. The aluminium threasholds are structural to carry a persons weight who may step on them, they are not hallow and aren't like a cap. I would use a reciprocating saw to cut vertically down on each side as close to the jam as yopu can. Pry out the old threashold and cut your new one to be a tight fit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to cap a copper water line: compression fitting or copper cap? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi all, Unsuccessfully tried to cap a copper water line by soldering a pre-soldered cap onto the end. Took all the proper steps, cleaned the ends of the pipe and fitting first, then applied flux around both. Wasn't quite sure what I should be heating, so I just heated everything. After my first...

Entry door aluminum threshold [ 12 Answers ]

I'm replacing a aluminum threshold. How do I remove the old one? There are no screws and the threshold ends run under the door frame. Do I need to remove the door casing?

Broken screws for adjustable wooden threshold in aluminum frame [ 2 Answers ]

I have an exterior door that has a wooden threshold inserted in an aluminum frame. The wooden insert is adjustable with four aluminum screws. The screws rusted to a steel nut that was in lower aluminum frame. All four screws are broke. The woodedn threshold (oak) is in good shape but I need...

Replacing Threshold [ 1 Answers ]

My back door is a double door, except that the one half is for decoration and doesn't open. My threshold is broken on the side that opens. I was wondering if I could simply cut my current threshold, which is about 6 feet long and replace the broken part, by hacksawing the length I needed. Do you...

Run cap and Start cap values for GE 5KCP39KG 5177AS [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I am trying to fix an old Goettl gas pack unit. It worked fine till 2 weeks ago. Now it starts normally with colder air for like 4-5 minutes then it sends inside warm air , no cooling . From outside I can see the condenser fan blade starting to rotate for those 4-5 minutes , low RPM...

View more questions Search