Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oops821 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Internal theft penalty
    So, I am a complete idiot. I started working in a jewellery store 2 years ago and loved it. The manager was useless though. There were so many mistakes and things going wrong and I was never trained. After a bit of time the Manager was moved to a different location as a Sales Associate. I stepped up and was an acting manager, although this was not my title, I delt with all the issues, did schedualing and payroll etc. I was told by the previous manager that when things go missing to transfer the "product" into a certain area so that inventory can deal with it. Over the reign at the store when ever something went missing I would just transfer it and thought inventory would deal with it. My employee number was on everything I transferred. I had just received my university tutition bill and was overwhelmed and needed cash to pay for it. I took a ring and transferred it out and then returned it as if a customer was returning it and put it onto my debit card. I used the money to pay for my tuition and that was the end of it. I had quit the job in August and it is now Jan of the following year. I got a call from the police saying I was going to be arrested. I wasn't told the charges or anything. They told me to come in to the station (we made an appointment) and it would take about 2 hours. Can some one please tell me what's going to happen? I have no idea what to be prepared for. I know some of the cops that work there and don't want them to find out about my stupid mistake. I'm really not the type of person to do something like that but Alas, I did and need to face the consequences. I don't want to be accused of stealing anythingother then what I did. The one item that I stole was under 2000. What does this mean for me? I have a different job now and hope it doesn't ruine that. What about my future teaching career? Should I get a lawyer? Am I going to have to go to court? I really don't want to tell my parents and am going to avoid it at all measures. Please someone just fill me in on what to do/expect.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 02:21 PM

Since the value paid for your college tutiion I will assume the value is very high, and you put it on your own debit card? Not a cash refund,?

anyway, no difference really than someone running into the store reaching into the cash register and running out.

You stole and it sounds like it could be seroius with that value.
    So yes you need an attorney and you need not to make any statement to anyone, not the store, not the police anyone without an attorney

The police will and do lie to you, to get you to confess, so don't believe any deal a police officer makes
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 04:59 PM

Whether you put the credit onto your debit card or just walked out with the cash it's the same thing. Stealing. Since you put the refund onto your debit card they have you cold. In this case I'd consult with an attorney prior to going to any appointment with the police. Chances are they're going to arrest you for this theft (the guy did say you were going to be arrested). And your teaching career will be toast if you are convicted of a felony as well.

This was not a stupid mistake on your part, honey. It was a cold, calculated act on your part and they have all the evidence they need with or without a confession to charge and convict you on. Grand Theft Felony. You may have to do a few months in jail and then probation for a few years if you're lucky.
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jan 21, 2010, 02:27 AM

"Theft as a servant" is quite a serious charge where I come from. You may be all right though. Are you white?
    oops821 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 06:37 AM

I'm a 20yr old white female.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 04:20 PM

Theft is theft, no matter how you dress it up.
    You will be delt with like anyone else who steals, plus it will remain on record for several years,affecting various employment that you might apply for in future years, especially those which require a CRB check

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000, internal, first time [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am an idiot, I'm 23 years old, I hail from BC Canada. I've had a clean record, until now, and I can't sleep. This issue is keeping me up at night, and I need help to reassure myself. Here it goes: I used to work at a big grocery store, and I was the person who would issue...

Internal theft under $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I used to work at the bay, and my buddy came in and he grabbed a bunch of stuff, and paid for some and I threw the rest in the bag. LP cought us on camera, and we were charged with theft under 5000. We're both really scared and are wondering what punishment we are looking at. We tried to get a...

Under $5000 internal theft [ 5 Answers ]

Hi this is my story please help I work at the bay in edmonton And I was caught yesterday with 2 shirts a pair of shoes and some cosmetics in my bag I put my bag in the stock room and when I went back it wasn't there The loss prevention team called me and told me they found it and made me open...

Besides the annuity penalty does the IRS add penalty for removing money [ 1 Answers ]

I am removimg money from my 401k plan & the annuity is assessing me a 8% penalty. Is the IRS going to penalize me as well or is it just categorized as ordinary income?

Internal Theft Under $5000 [ 15 Answers ]

All right, as much as it's shameful I do need to know what I might be facing. I worked at 'The Bay' in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Some stupid stuff happened and I ended taking about $450 over the span of two weeks. I did this by using the receipt copies to do refunds for the cash, that way the...

View more questions Search