Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robert Fusco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Heat wrap waste pipes insulaTE FIRST OR HEAT WRAP FIRST ON pvc WASTE
    Have mobile home in Ohio. Waste pipe froze. Do I wrap pipe with insulation and then heat wrap or heat wrap first then cover with insulation?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 10:57 AM
    Hi Robert...

If the pipes are frozen now I'd suggest that you rent/purchase a salamander type heater and blow hot air under the trailer until the pipes thaw.

If pipes aren't frozen and you are going to protect the pipes for the future then you want to use the heat wrap first and then wrap the insulation around last. If you have a bulb type thermostat make sure that gets wrapped inside the insulation... ;)

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer room server waste heat: recycling? [ 8 Answers ]

Background: we have an office location that has a server rack with 3 or 4 servers plus network gear in a finished furnace room (15x10, 8’ ceilings). The building construction is standard office construction with a drop ceiling and plenum return system. There is one small return vent and one...

Is it safe to wrap (i.e. Insulate) baseboard heat pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to wrap the heat and hot water pipes in my basement/garage. A fair portion of the plumbing for our baseboard heat, not to mention all the hot water in the house, runs through the unheated half of our basement and garage (which doesn't even get the benefit of the radiant heat from the...

Connecting second floor waste to main waste stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I have new new modular cape that had the first floor plumbing complete, and the second floor stubbed, and want to know the right way to connect the second floor waste drain which was installed in the house, to the main waste drain. The main waste drain comes up verically from the basement floor...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

View more questions Search