Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xliu63 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 06:22 PM
    How can I get the old submersible pump out?
    Hi,

I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot.

I have additional question now.

I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to know whether it is good idea. How much does it usually cost to have the pump replaced?

Thanks again for your help.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2006, 10:00 PM
    How deep is the pump in the well... what kind of pipe is connected to it... does it have a recovery line attached to it.
    I can be done by a couple of people it the weight is not too much for them to lift, if it is then you will need some sort of wench.
    mnebinger Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 02:22 PM
    For a deep well (not jet pump), we usually used 2 or 3 guys to replace the pump. One thing that you need to keep in mind is once you crack the seal on the well, you have to keep things as sanitary as possible.

Generally, you loosen the cap and pull it out by the water line. Then once it is out on the ground, you use the old pump and line as a template to cut the new water line and power line to the correct length.

This is not something that I would recommend as a DIY project.
    vpatui Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Nov 17, 2006, 03:51 PM
    It sounds as if you have located the well, but that's it. So pay attention to the first two posts. Especially if you are using the well for drinking water. The water line should be strong enough to bring the pump to the surface. If not, there should be a recovery line. Then you can go get a new pump. Good luck. Why don't you have a pro come out and at least bid the project for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump [ 2 Answers ]

When it rains my sump pump works ,but there is a bab smell??

Pump Problem [ 10 Answers ]

Dcobb New member join date: jun 2006 Posts: 0 Wellsaver tank -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi speedball1 i have a question for you. I have a well saver 56 gallon pump tank and i'm having some trouble. It's hooked to a one horse...

3-way water pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have been told that my central air conditioning unit needs a new Honeywell 3-way water pump. The technician who evaluated my unit has rigged it so that the valve is now open all the time and I am able to have ac. This was a temporary measure until he could return with the new valve. He has...

Well pump [ 2 Answers ]

Today I had to repair a copper water pipe in my basement and had to shut off the well and water pump. I did so by unplugging the power cord from the pressure swithc to the wall outlet and then drained the system of water. Once my pressure switch dial read zero (0) I completed the repair (copper...

View more questions Search