Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kakgungor Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 05:49 PM
    Do I need sewer back up insurance?
    I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. Do I need sewer back up insurance? What are the chances that a sewer back up would reach all the way up 3 stories?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 10:16 PM

I'm inclined to say no. The likelihood of sewage backing up to the 3rd floor of your apartment is unlikely. Now, the landlord may want to carry this since they are responsible for the entire building. You are only responsible for your personal belongings. If you were renting a house, it may be worth the extra money to add it because you'd actually have personal items that could be ruined as a result of a sewage backup and the regular home/renter's policy doesn't cover this.

Jan 8, 2010, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    I'm inclined to say no. The likelihood of sewage backing up to the 3rd floor of your apartment is unlikely. Now, the landlord may want to carry this since they are responsible for the entire building. You are only responsible for your personal belongings. If you were renting a house, it may be worth the extra money to add it because you'd actually have personal items that could be ruined as a result of a sewage backup and the regular home/renter's policy doesn't cover this.
    I should have clarified that this is an apartment-style condo building. I own the unit. Does that change anything in your response nikosmom?
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 11:20 PM

Well yes, if you own it then you have more concern with damage to the structure should this happen. It's a relatively cheap addition to your policy; usually only an extra $25-30 per year.

This endorsement pays for damage to the structure resulting from a sewage backup, it doesn't replace the faulty equipment (toilet, pipes, etc.) that caused the backup. So if there's a blockage in your unit while you're away for a weekend, you'd def want your floors and drywall replaced.

Jan 8, 2010, 11:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    Well yes, if you own it then you have more concern with damage to the structure should this happen. It's a relatively cheap addition to your policy; usually only an extra $25-30 per year.

This endorsement pays for damage to the structure resulting from a sewage backup, it doesn't replace the faulty equipment (toilet, pipes, etc.) that caused the backup. So if there's a blockage in your unit while you're away for a weekend, you'd def want your floors and drywall replaced.
    Relatively cheap yes, but if I'm up on the 3rd story of the building, can the sewer actually back up that far? And if not, then is there any need to pay the extra premium?
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2010, 12:29 AM

Can it happen? Sure it can. What is the likelihood? I have no way to give you a definitive answer on that. It'd depend on a lot of variables: Age of plumbing, exactly how the plumbing is configured in your condo- does each unit directly lead to the city sewer or all the units' plumbing interconnected? (Perhaps one of our plumbing experts can speak more on this.) Even the age of the neighborhood could increase your chances of having a loss of this sort (older neighborhoods with large trees can have roots that can disturb underground plumbing causing a backup).

Insurance in general is a gamble. You're buying protection if something happens. If a tree falls on your house, if you skid of the road in an ice storm, if your spouse dies, or if you have raw sewage seeping into your unit because your plumbing failed you. You may pay for health insurance and never get sick but I'm sure you sleep a lot better if you have it.

Ultimately it's your decision if you want to spend the extra dough to cover something that is not otherwise covered under your homeowner's policy. If you don't want to spend it, don't and just keep your fingers crossed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 09:23 AM

What if the "clog" happens between the 2nd and 3rd floor and everything from the 4, 5 and so on flloors come into the 3rd

Jan 9, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    what if the "clog" happens bewteen the 2nd and 3rd floor and everything from the 4, 5 and so on flloors come into the 3rd
    Would that be considered sewer back up though? I have a feeling the insurance company would argue that it was a problem with the building deny coverage for something like that. My understanding is that sewer back up would be anything coming from the public sewer system. But maybe I am mistaken? My policy states:

"we will pay for loss or damage caused by accidental discharge or backing up of sewage or water from a sewer, sump, septic tank, or eavestrough or downspout connect to a sewer."
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 07:43 PM

How many floors are above you? If you are the top floor save your money.

Jan 29, 2010, 10:33 PM

Ballengerb1, I am on the 3rd floor of 5, so there are two floors below me and two above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Backup Insurance [ 11 Answers ]

I asked this in the plumbing section as it has to do with sewer backup, but this is likely a good place to post it as well... I purchased my house about 2 years ago and did not purchase sewer backup insurance, as my insurance agent said I did not need it since my house is on a slab. Now that I...

Sewer back up or not, covered by insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I recently discovered, after a flood in my finished basement of my Condo, that a pipe in the ground under the foundation had collapsed. This was causing any water I used in the house to come back up into the basement. The plumber said it was a collapsed pipe. My insurance agent has told me that...

Sewer Back Up [ 4 Answers ]

We have a problem with our waste coming out on our sidewalk, through the sewer pipe. Our neighbor had the same problem. She had to have the Street and side walk tore up to the main Sewer line. She had a One Way Flow Valve Installed. Three houses on our block are having problems, two inside of...

Does home insurance cover pipes/sewer/septic? [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought my house (built in 1955). It was on a septic, but the washing machine was backing up all of this black nasty stuff and we determined that the field lines had failed. So thousands of dollars later, we are on city sewer. The washing machine still backs up, but the water is now...

Basement sewer back up [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a home that is 47 yrs old. I had 2 backups (mostly water) in the basement and was told that the sewage pipes needed to be replumbed. I have since had that taken care of but now 3 weeks late I am hearing gurgling in the kitchen (tell tale sign of water backup) At the u joint where...

View more questions Search