Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 03:14 AM
    Map and Mileage Sites That Are Really Easy to Use If You Have a Slow Connection?
    Hi, All!

What are some map and mileage sites to use if you have a slow connection and the usual ones like, Google Maps , Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic and MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map might take forever to load?

Are there other sites that don't have as much on them in order to calculate mileage and driving directions?

I'm on a really old and slow computer right now and am needing to get some information to my attorney where I have to be able to figure a bunch of mileages to places.

I can't get into my regular, fast computer because it won't start.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 03:24 AM
    Hmmm... :confused:

Still no takers on this?

Of course, I realize that I'm probably using one of the more ancient, dinosauric computers out of everyone here.

It's Windows '98. And, on a dial-up, no less!

Sob... :(
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 05:16 PM

Well, I didn't answer cause I'm not aware of any map thing that wouldn't be slow on dial-up. It has to load those images so don't know if one exists. I used to try to use them on dial-up so I understand the frustration.

And nothing wrong with Win98 if it works for you. I used Win95 until 03 and people made fun of me. :-) I still have it on another computer.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
    Hi, morgaine300!

I did find where MSN Maps & Directions - Get Directions seemed to work in a reasonable amount of time.

That was after checking out a number of the other sites for that kind of thing.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 11:23 PM

Use Wolfram|Alpha

Use the querry "distance <zip code> to <zip code>"

Spits out like butter

It knows about zip codes and aparently city and state. It doesn't know about addresses.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    use Wolfram|Alpha

Use the querry "distance <zip code> to <zip code>"

spits out like butter

It knows about zip codes and aparently city and state. It doesn;t know about addresses.
    I'll check that out, KISS!

I'd never previously heard about it nor found it in searches.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 11:29 PM

Maps.google.com spits it out pretty fast. You don't have to print anything. Just do a get directions and type in 2 addresses.

Most of the computation is on the server side.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 11:32 PM
    WA is new. You'll find me using it for some of the math stuff here.

It's an odd engine. It's in development. It's a mathematical artificial intelligence tingy. It tries, not always successful. But it tries.

It tries to guess what you want. What you want has to be numerical in nature.
    dbaierl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Www.distancebetweencities.com worked pretty good on my Wii which is a pretty slow internet device due to low built in memory I do believe
    dbaierl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaierl View Post
    www.distancebetweencities.com worked pretty good on my Wii which is a pretty slow internet device due to low built in memory I do believe
    Correction: .net not .com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet connection too slow [ 2 Answers ]

My internet connection is extremely slow and I almost always get an error message that the page cannot be displayed. This is using IE 7. When using Mozilla the message is that the site is taking too long or can't be found. Comcast was at my house and did a test on my PC and a mac I never use. ...

Slow connection [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of weeks ago, you uploaded changes to Internet Explorer. Ever since, connection to the Internet has been exceedingly slow. How do I fix this?

Slow, slow connection [ 11 Answers ]

Hey guys, The last couple of days my computer has been slower than a turtle. The problem occurs when I connect to the internet and try to view web pages. It takes minutes on end to view a page or for a page to download. When I get fed up and close the page it always says unresponsive webpage...

Slow DSL connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am having very slow dsl connection speed. Its only gives the bandwidth of 180kbps. It was supposed to give the banwidth of 380kbps+. System specs are CPU 1.49ghz,athlon,winxp,256 RAM,cnet lan card. I tried changing the computer terminal by connecting to the same DSL. The speed was 390kbs....

Easy tools to build flash sites like moonfruit? [ 4 Answers ]

Moonfruit is a hosting site that has tools that makes Flash websites really easy. Its basically just point and click and by far the best. Are there standalone software that is easy to use and does the same thing? Does not have to be flash. The link below are some sample websites. Also I've...

View more questions Search