Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 10:10 PM
    Serpentine belt tensioner - 2000 Impala V6
    OK, mom'scar is about 9 years old and the belt was replaced once. The belt looks good, and there are three marks and it's about halfway to the loosest mark, so tensioner seems to be in range when the engine is running BUT

On a few cold nights, I took the car out and the BATT symbol seems to stay on longer than usual and then the MIL light but only for 10 sec max.

On one of those cold nights, I was able to wiggle the tensioner and it didn't seem to come back to the same place and it seemed a lot looser that night than a warmer morning. Today's warm was about 37F and he BATT indicator just seems to be on for a few seconds after the car starts.

Is the tensioner on the watch list? Time for another belt? Lube?
    The Chevy Shop manual was little help. They seem to be about $100.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? How easy is the repair? Any tricks?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 07:36 AM

I recommend replacing the belt every 80,000 or 7 years, whichever comes first. Stay away from belt lubes. It sounds like it's also time to replace the tensioner. This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post578394

Easy job. I'd go with a Dayco tensioner, the inventor of the tensioner/serpentine belt for the original Mustang. Dayco products are usually less expensive than ACDelco.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 09:59 AM

That's what I thought. The car only has about 30K miles on it and 10 yrs old. Belt was replaced once.

Thanks. Job for spring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need diagram of serpentine belt [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find a free diagram for a 1992 ford f150 serpentine belt installation. Anybody know where I can find that?

Serpentine belt [ 3 Answers ]

So I took my jeep in for brake check need new brakes . Price qouted seems about right for work. During the inspection of my car I was told the serpentine belt was in need of replacement. How do I know it needs to be changed. Is it a scam our a real concern. The cost to change it with parts is 150$...

Serpentine belt diagram [ 3 Answers ]

I went to go put the serpentine belt on my 1999 chevy truck with 454, just to find out someone tore the diagram sticker off. Does anyone have a diagram to help me put the belt on right? THANKS, greatkids

Belt tensioner on 2000 civic [ 1 Answers ]

How do I loosen the belt tensioner on a 2000 civic lx

Serpentine Belt Tensioner [ 2 Answers ]

'93 Asuna Sunfire needs serpentine belt tightened. Anyone knows how to adjust the belt tensioner?

View more questions Search