Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charro08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 05:14 PM
    Help for antique bed rails
    I bought an antique bed on eBay... I thought it came with rails but the rails sent were not compatible with the bed. The hardware is missing the head and foot board have grooves that don't make sense to me... I was told(from an eBay seller) to mortisse them and just use another type of rail hardware... but I don't even know how to do that. A furntiure expert said he could do it... but I am just stumped by the fact that I can't get rails to fit this bed... help please
    Attached Images

Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Jan 8, 2010, 04:56 AM

I've run into several different setups on antique beds... any chance you could post a photo?
    Bill
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Hi, charro08!

What do you mean by "rails", please? That could involve the hardware under the bed or even to the sides of it.

Thanks!
    charro08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 06:23 AM

I posted a pix of the foot board and how it is shaped for the hardware.
    The rails I need are the ones that connect the foot board and the headboard and run the length of the mattress.
    Thanks
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Jan 8, 2010, 05:08 PM

Charro8,
    Thanks for the photos. The rails for your bed were (originally) wood with two tenons on each end. These fit into the mortises, or slots, on your head- and foot boards. Additionally, there would be a bolt captured in each end of the rail that penetrates the column of the head- and foot board, which then takes a nut to secure it. The nut hole on the foot board would be covered by a brass estucheon plate, generally held in place with one small brad. I've seen these beds take either regular wooden bed slats or a cable arrangement from side-to-side to hold the box spring.

Have a look at the materials supplied by somebody like Van Dyke's Restorers (Bed Hardware, Bedroom Furniture, Furniture at Van Dykes Restorers). You should be able to have a local restorer put a set together for you without too much trouble.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bed Slats for full size bed [ 3 Answers ]

I am purchasing a new mattress and box spring. I have been told that I need to supply three full size bed slats. I need the dimensions and type of wood that should be used so I can purchase them at my nearest Home Depot or Lowe's. I specifically need the length required. I need this answer...

Difficulty getting my 4.5yr old grandson to bed (well, to stay in bed) [ 12 Answers ]

My daughter and grandson live with us. He rarely goes to bed before 8pm. Once he's in bed, story read, drink of water, kisses and tucking in he rarely will stay there. He is probably up and down up to 6 times before he finally stays put. That doesn't mean he's sleeping though. When we go to...

From weed bed to flower bed [ 1 Answers ]

Currently I have a weed bed in the front yard. I would like to change it to a flower bed that does not require a lot of time and watering. I am not familiar with plants for Texas.The bed gets full sun all day long. What about mulch? This is another thing that confuses me. What are the...

Antique iron bed [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has an old iron bed in her basement. It is simply made. The head board is round with flat spindles and higher than the foot board. There is no ornamentation on it. I think one might call austere?? Can anyone tell me what it might be worth? :) :) thanks

View more questions Search