Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wheelers4life Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 02:37 PM
    Brown hot water in tub/ and cloudy water in well
    I just bought a new house. It has an electric RHEEM hot water heater and I am running it on a well.
    1st question about the well cold water is cloudy and I have run the well for 3 straight days.
    The well is 181 ft deep.
    Is there a way to get ride of the cloudy water?

2nd
    My hot water heater has brown water
    I have drained it completely and then turned to water back on and fluched it with the water on for 2 hours, still brown water.
    Can anyone help please?:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2006, 07:30 AM
    As a rule when I hear the term "brown water from the water heater" I think rust and mineral build up. However not this time. It sounds like you're pulling soil up from your well and it's in your system. I would look into a whole house filter to clear and clean the water before it enters your house. Is there a pump man you can call or would you like me to give you a link to house filters? Regards, Tom
    wheelers4life Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    As a rule when I hear the term "brown water from the water heater" I think rust and mineral build up. However not this time. It sounds like you're pulling soil up from your well and it's in your system. I would look into a whole house filter to clear and clean the water before it enters your house. Is there a pump man you can call or would you like me to give you a link to house filters? Regards, Tom

I have called my well installer 3 times and he has blown the whole system out and run the water for hours, but he says that there is sediment in the water heater, from the setup and is not out. I have drained the water heater and run it the water through the heater for a long time. But yea It would be great if you set me up with a link to filters that I can instal myself
    vpatui Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Nov 17, 2006, 04:05 PM
    If your cold water is cloudy then it could be hard water. To cure that, you can install a wter softner.
    For the hot water, disconnect the water supply from the heater and run it into a bucket. It should look like (since it is) cold water. Is it brown? If so, your problem is before then. Perhaps some in-ground plumbing issues. If not, by-pass the hot water heater and run the supply to the output, check at a faucet. Is it brown? It should look the same as your cold water.
    Since you flushed and flushed the hot water heater, either buy a new one or have a licensed plumber come out and look at it. Otherwise you're just wasting water.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
    Lushan Inc. Has what your looking for. Check it out; The 20" Big Blue Whole House Multi-Media Water Filters, have the flexibility to contain different types of filtration media, depending on the specific need of the customer and the quality of water being treated.
    These Filters have 3/4" or 1" in-let and out-let, they are usually mounted on the main pipe feeding your home, and usually they are singles, sets of two, or Three depending on the quality of your feed water supply.
    Features
    Sediment Filter remove Sediment, Fine Dirt, Sand, Silt, Rust and Scale Particles.
    Multimedia Filter.
    Carbon Block Filter.
    Removes > 99% of 10 micron Particles
    Removes > 95% of Chlorine
    Removes Hundreds of Contaminants
    Removes Thousands of Chemicals
    Removes Hundreds of Organic residues
    Improves Taste, Eliminates Odors
    Easy Cartridge Replacement.
    Prices, pictures and more information can be seen on the web at; http//:www.lushaninc.com/house.html Hope this helps, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water is brown! Help! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, This past weekend we flushed out our Hot Water Heater (Electric-Rheems). There was all sorts of crud in there, we got a bunch of sand out of it and some other stuff. We followed the directions from the Rheems site for draining the hot water heater. The problem now is our hot water has a...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Brown hot water [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water coming out of my faucets is brown. I drained the hot water heater, letting it refill a few times between drainings but it s still brown. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

No hot water in tub [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has an oil burner to heat the house and water.. last night I discovered no hot water in tub to bath the kids but hot water in the kitchen sink.. who do I call plumber or furnace man... any thoughts on why?

Brown smelly water backing up in tub... [ 1 Answers ]

This evening when my wife was washing her face in the bathroom sink she noticed that brown smelly water was coming up through the tub drain. This only occurred when she was running the hot water and would slowly drain after the hot water was turned off. Although our tub has always drained slowly...

View more questions Search