Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stgray02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Can you claim a dependent even if the dependent files
    My son is twenty seven. He lived with us from Nov. 08 to July 09. He didn't have a job during those months. He found a job in Aug. 09 and worked until Dec.09. He got laid off. Will we be able to claim him as a dependent even if he files??
    stgray02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 01:54 PM

My son is twenty seven. He lived with us from Nov. 08 to July 09. He didn't have a job during those months. He found a job in Aug in Aug. 09 and worked until Dec. 09. He got laid off. Will we be able to clim him as a dependent even if he files?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 02:16 PM

Most likely not, but it depends on his income. He is too old to be considered a dependent child, and to be classified as a dependent relative his income for the year must be less than $3,650. If he worked for 5 months that seems unlikely. However, if his total income for the year is less than that, and if you provided at least half his support during the year, then you can claim him. If you do claim him, his own tax return must show that he is being claimed as the dependent of someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim dependent. [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a child on dec 27 of 2008. Will I be able to claim her on the 2008 tax returns.:confused:

Can a H1 claim a F1 as dependent? [ 4 Answers ]

This is the first time I am filing taxes under H1 status. I have been working on OPT until Oct 2007 and since then working on H1. I am single and My brother stays with me under F1 visa (since 2005) and I would like to know if I can claim my brother as my dependent. He does not have any income...

Claim a dependent [ 2 Answers ]

1- I'm a non resident alien with J2 visa. I came from Chile (Southamerica).I'm having a child that will be born in USA. I want to know if I can claim a tax exemption for my son. Thanks a lot

Should I claim myself or allow my dad to claim me as a dependent on his taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I Am Almost 22 , I Go To Nursing School And Totally Support Myself. I Did Work In 2007 Up Until June. My Dad Is Wanting To Claim Me As A Dependent, But I Think I Would Be Better Off If I Claim Myself. Should I Claim Myself, Or Should My Dad Claim Me? What Is Better For Me?

Dependent Claim [ 7 Answers ]

I claimed my mother as dependent in 2006 after checking if all requirements are met. But she is afraid of losing part or all of her social security benefits. I am considering filing an amendment to disclaim her as dependent. But I am afraid when it is time for social security to review her...

View more questions Search