Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    builderbob1 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Aluminum patio condensation problem
    I, have a patio with an aluminum roof, I have since enclosed the patio to a 4 seasons room using the existing aluminum roof. The problem I am having know is the roof condensates and drips into my new room, I wish to do the project myself to cure the problem so how may I correct the condensation problem. When I cure the problem I am going to dryall the ceiling,any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 11:32 AM

Where do you live, what is the air handling source for this room and did you insulate?

Jan 8, 2010, 09:55 AM

Ilive in the midwest, Illinois. There is no air vent between roof and ceiling. Walss are insulated.

Jan 8, 2010, 10:01 AM

And your heats source is what? Did you insulate the roof? What temps do you reach day and night in this 4 season room?

Jan 8, 2010, 11:10 AM

My heat source will a electric heater,was afraid to insulate between roof and ceiling because of the moisture problem ,insulation soaking up the water. Have not used the room yet so no temp answer. I don't have a ceiling on the room yet it is just the original aluninum roof know which is exposed. When I put a heater out there to work that's when I get the condensation problem.

Jan 8, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Only have about 4" to play with between existing roof and ceiling.

Jan 8, 2010, 11:48 AM

Ok you have about about 15 degrees on the top side of that aluminum roof last night and maybe 50 degrees on the inside. You will hit the dew point every day until you get your ceiling insulated. You can not have an uninsulated metal roof over a heated area without this happening. You should have at least R36 and you have nothing.

Jan 8, 2010, 01:38 PM

Ok like I said there is no ceiling right know just exposed aluminum (original roof).
    I only have 4" to play with between the existing roof and what is going to be my new ceiling. Afraid to put normal insulation between the 2 because of possible moisture being absourbed into the insulation. What type of insulatuon should I use?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jan 8, 2010, 01:40 PM

Bob is absolutely right... but I wanted to make sure you understand what he is saying.

You have a moisture problem ~because~ the roof is uninsulated. If you blow warm air against a cold surface, you will see moisture come out of the warm air onto the cold surface.

The purpose of insulation, ventilation, and vapour barrier is to not let this happen. However, 4" is not enough space. You'll either have to use blown foam ($$$) or build a lower ceiling to give you more room.

Jan 8, 2010, 01:42 PM
    I have installed the windows and insulation in the walls and drywalled the walls we have no heat out there right know just when I am working.I am getting ready to install the ceiling but want to cure the condensation problem before I do

Jan 8, 2010, 01:46 PM
    A lower ceiling is out of the question no room only have 4" from original sliding door to roof. Can I glue foam insulation to the wood or drywall that I maybe installing for the ceiling, before I install it?

Jan 8, 2010, 01:48 PM
    I understand the warm air againest the cold surface that produces moisture or condensation.

Jan 8, 2010, 01:50 PM
    I was going to install plastic for a vapor barrier first on the ceiling and then glue foam insulation to the paneling or drywall before installing it over the plastic do you think that will work?

Jan 8, 2010, 01:57 PM

Although condensation is a way of saying what you have it is actually the dew point for your relative humidity. If the cold air did not reach the underside of the metal there will be no dew or condensation. Truth be told I think all we are able to due is to say what size band aide you should use. This is not how a 4 season room should be built. To do it correctly you would rip off the metall, install 2x10 rafters, plywood sheeting, shingles and then insulate to R36. Knowing your climate you can't get enough insulation in what you have to make this a 4 season room, maybe 3 season
    MikeSK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 07:26 PM
    I have the same problem. Did you fix it? What did you do? I too am concerned about just putting insulation because it will soak up the moisture. What did you decide?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aluminum to Copper ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My mother-in-laws house built in the late 50's has Aluminum wiring throughout. I need to run a new leg ( one-20 amp outlet) from an existing circuit, 20amp AL 12-2/g. Can I do this with copper 12-2/g or need to run new circuit from panel. Also what about GFI outlets on aluminum?

What is the amount of aluminum? [ 1 Answers ]

Aluminum reacts with sulfuric acid to make aluminum sulfate and hydrogen gas. How much aluminum would be needed to produce 85.5 grams of aluminum sulfate?. If you can, please help me solve this stoichiometry problem.

Copper vs aluminum [ 8 Answers ]

I am in the process of building a house and my electrician seems to favor using aluminun wire for some aspects of the house wiring and pushes back when I suggest copper in these instances. First the 200A underground supply cable from the meter to the panel (maybe about 70 feet). He says copper...

Aluminum or copper? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I recently acquired a hot tub. We would like to install every ourselves but are totally green on the subject. So, we have decided to at least purchase the materials and have an electrician just hook it up to the box. What type of wire should we buy. I know it is 6/3 but the hardware...

View more questions Search