Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Jan 7, 2010, 06:36 AM
    Need a new firewall
    Question: What is a good firewall that I can use?

More details... I need a new firewall. One that is compatible with XP and also will allow me to use the Apache web server. I want something that is proven to be effective and well cheap or free would be great. Also light and easy on the system resources would be ideal.

I have been using the System Mechanic Pro suite by Iolo for several years now (Worked perfectly without any problems at all for about 3 years.) The other morning I came home from work and there was an update to the new product version so I updated. Once the antivirus loaded up it flagged part of the firewall as a trojan. This is where everything started...

I had to uninstall everything, which left my PC crippled, unable to go online due to "little or no connection". A netsock reset was able to restore that. But I was still left with problems with the program itself. This is where it gets more interesting. I found out then that Iolo is discontinuing its firewall, but they have no other solution available in its place. They never even sent me an email before about the product being discontinued... Irreseponsible corporate hijinks...

Further more, because of the problems that just popped up I had decided that it would probably be better if I started over with my operating system again. Thank goodness for Acronis... After backing up everything I wanted, I had a fresh start from when a back up made in May. (Of course I made a new backup now, after Windows was fully updated and I installed some of the more important programs I use.)

So that's my situation :D
    waller540 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 02:30 AM
    Kasperskys firewall is very good in my opinion, even if it is a bit overpriced.
    I usually choose a firewall/antivirus combined. There's some good information here:
    http://www.antivirusreviewers.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best firewall [ 7 Answers ]

I just want your suggistion that which is the best firewall I can use. Thanks in advance

How to configure firewall [ 1 Answers ]

How to configure firewall

Windows firewall [ 1 Answers ]

In my windows firewall under exceptions, I have 6 windows checked all for media connect. Is this OK or should I uncheck them? While I'm at this question concerning windows firewall what would happen if I were to uncheck all the boxes under exceptions? Thanks very much Do you need to update your...

Something desactivates my firewall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I got messages from Av and anti spy sites informing me that I should download regestry cleaner and Av.. ALL the time. Each time I lock my firewall I no more receive those damned messages.But few seconds later my firewall is opened automatically and here we go again. WHY? ...

Firewall/antivirus [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if they like or dislike the EZ Armor Security Software that comes with roadrunner? I have been trying to look at reviews but can't find any. Also, can anyone tell what they think of Trend Micro's firewall protection. I currently have this for my virus protection but wasn't...

View more questions Search