Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 06:30 AM
    How "Good" Are Goodman Furnaces?
    Hi, All!

I recently had a Goodman furnace installed. It was done by a contractor who works through a local community action agency.

I've needed some help because my old furnace was so bad. It was actually getting frightening with the way that is was starting! Would shake the whole house with a bang! It turns out that I qualified for getting a new furnace because of my income.

Business for me hasn't been the best in recent months, but it's picking up!

I'm not complaining. I've received a blessing! But, I am wondering about the quality of Goodman furnaces from the Experts here. Life expectancy, durability, reliability, etc.

I also received a new hot water heater through the same agency. But, that's a subject for another thread...

Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Goodman is just as good as any other unit. The manufactures today build the heat exchangers and outer cabinet and just about all the other parts are made by someone else so the quality is all about the same.

The most important item is the install. You can take a cheaper unit and install it correctly and it will outlast the most expensive unit you can buy that is installed improperly. This is because airflow in and out of the unit along with proper venting puts less strain on the heat exchanger and other components. Proper thermostat selection and setup or calibration will also go a long way to prevent short cycling and other comfort problems. If your Goodman was installed properly you should get many years of service BUT it may need a small part once in a while just like every other unit.

In days of old it seemed furnaces lasted forever with little or no service but with today's parts laden units (many extra parts needed to obtain the high efficiency) that is no longer possible. Circuit boards, exhaust blowers, and various other controls will fail eventually so keep a copy of your warranty or go to the Goodman site and see what you warranty covers so when it is time for a repair you know your rights under the warranty. Enjoy your new furnace and I remember a while back about some questions you had about your other unit.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Thank you for your outstanding answer, hvac1000!

Thank God that the other unit is gone! It was getting pretty scary with using it!
    johnnieco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
    What is the life expectancy of a Goodman furnace at 90%?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman Gas Furnace - LED flashing "2" error code [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old Goodman PGB024075-1A gas furnace. The LED is flashing a "2" error code, meaning an open end switch. I'm attempting to track down the potential causes of this error. After taking things apart, I found and removed an insect nest (the dirt clog kind) which had found its way into...

Is using a toy on my "back door" a good prep strategy for anal [ 24 Answers ]

I think I'd like to try anal with my boyfriend for several reasons: 1) I like being touched back there 2) I've got a dildo vibe that I discovered a while back is nice in there if I lube it a bit 3) I know he'd be gentle and back off carefully if need be. When I first started with him he was...

Fence-should I pay for the "good side" when she said she didn't care? [ 7 Answers ]

The owner of the property next door and I had a verbal agreement (which is supported by emails back and forth) to split 50/50 the cost of a new fence on our property line (Riverside county CA). We were in total agreement and a lot of work on mine and my husbands part (he took down the old fence...

View more questions Search